8 - Liv

I peered at the map that was laid out before me and I studied the lands painted on it carefully. My mind was filled with thoughts of grain, meat, and wool. Walls that needed repairs before the winds grew harsher, and boats that needed to be built so that we could fill our stocks with dried fish.

"Are you planning a raid, my lord?" Liv asked as she entered my private chamber.

"My lord?" I chuckled and raised a questioning brow at her.

"Why not? It's what you are, isn't it?" She asked and took a seat on the edge of the table.

"Yes, I guess so," I said with a shrug and returned to my thoughts, eyening the map. "And no, we're not off to raid anytime soon. I want their trust, so we can't leave them like he did."

She nodded and leaned over the table to take a better look. "So what are you planning then?"

"We need allies. We need someone who's willing to trade us food, and we need everyone around us to know that there's no use trying to attack us."

"I don't think they would," she said plainly. "Rumours travel fast. Who will attack a village who's been blessed like this one? They believe you are the real Tyr and Fenris. You know that, don't you?"

I chuckled low and shook my head. "And what do you think?"

"I think you are smart enough to take advantage of that rumour," she said and gave me a smile. "So make the people know, Tyr is also the god of order and justice, not only war and bloodshed."

"I'm trying," I said with a deep sigh slipping through my lips.

"You need your wolf," she said with a teasing smile, "I've seen you relax in their company, and it looks like you could use some of it right now."

"If you see Freke, tell them that," I said with hurt and bitterness in my voice. It pained me how everyone saw my weakness, except the wolf themself. They should have known how their absence affected me in a time when I needed them the most. Coming here was their idea, so why did they leave me as soon as we'd arrived?

"Freke loves you," she said with a gentle smile on her lips. I knew she was trying to comfort me, but it didn't help.

"I know," I said, but turned my back to her and started to busy myself by pouring me a mug of beer.

"We haven't known each other for long," she said eventually and it forced me to turn and look at her. "But I really believe that you are capable of doing all the things the people of Skal expect of you. You will bring many good things to this village, Tyr."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked low, and placed the mug to my lips, examining the woman over the brim of it. She was almost as tall as me and had dark long hair, falling freely around her face and down her shoulders. Dark brown eyes that showed the strength of her mind, and a warrior's body underneath the plain tunic she wore in the village.

"Because, you rely too much on your Vitki, Tyr. You believe you can't do this without them, but look at you now. Here you are making decisions without them. You are doing fine."

I gave her a sceptical glance, "at first you tell me I need them, and now you tell me I'm better off without them? Make up your mind, Woman," I chuckled and emptied my glass.

"You need them to warm your bed, that's all," she said with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Watch your tongue, Liv," I warned with a deep voice, but she only shrugged it off, easing the tension in the room.

"I would gladly do it, but I've noticed that you never glance at anyone other than them, so I won't even suggest it."

"Are you telling me you want to be my advisor?" I joked and winked at her, but got an eye roll in response.

"You know what I mean, my Lord," she chuckled and I could feel her eyening my body.

I sighed deeply and shook my head. "I understand what you are telling me, and I know why. I appreciate your concern, Liv," I told her and met her dark eyes. "But never question Freke again," I added more sternly.

Her eyes fell to the floor, and the cheeky grin vanished from her face, "I'm sorry my lord, it won't happen again."

I licked my lips and studied the change of posture in the woman before me. She regretted speaking up to me, I knew that. But I could see how my weakness for my lover annoyed her. "I need you to do me a favour," I said, changing the subject and sounding more serious.

"Anything, my Lord," she said as she left the table and walked up to me.

"I need you to take the boat and the men you need, and go back to Holmslond and see if they are willing to trade us food."

"And what should I offer in return?" she questioned.

"Whatever we can spare. We need to survive this winter," I said with a sigh and left the room, happy with my decision. Some time apart would probably be good for us.