Chapter 14 | Thrift Shopping

Zenitsu's POV

I yawned and stared at the front of the classroom. It was a Monday morning, I was tired and the others were acting kind of weird.

The teacher gave a handout and let the class do whatever. I glanced over to Kanao and caught her eye, she looked back at her page quickly.

"What's up with you?" I mumbled.

"Hm?" she hummed in question, still staring at her paper. She seemed really nervous though.

"You're being weird," I teased jokingly.

"No I'm not," she said sternly, then she stayed quiet.

I was a little taken aback, she was being a little aggressive, which was odd for her. I hadn't even done anything to her, nor had I said anything wrong or offensive. In fact she'd been ignoring me all morning, this was the first time she'd responded to anything I said and even then she was distant and cold.

"Hey, is something up with Kanao?" I asked as I leaned against Genya's desk.

"Um, no, why do you ask?" he said as he looked at me. There was something about the look in his eye that unnerved me, there was something off.

"You too huh?" I mumbled glumbly.

"I don't know what you're talking about Zenitsu" he smiled, but I could tell he was hiding something.

"Ok, Inosuke's the last semi-sane person I can think of," I sighed as I went off to go to his desk.

"Ah, Zenitsu, wait" he called as I turned away from him but he caught my attention, "I'm sorry, there's nothing wrong. It's just um, I'm in a mood, cuz Shinazugawa was being sour this morning and I guess it rubbed off"

"Shinazugawa's always sour, it's never gotten to you before though?" I asked.

"He was being especially sour and I was especially tired this morning sooooo..." he gulped nervously.

"Ok, you're a horrible liar, I'm going to go talk with Inosuke" I nodded as I turned from him.

Inosuke had his phone in his lap and hadn't even started the worksheet.

"Everyone's being weird" I said as I sat down in the empty desk next to him.

"Must be these damned phones, getting into kids' heads and radiation and shit. Scrambles your brain" he mumbled as he mindlessly scrolled through the internet.

I chuckled slightly, "I don't think so, it's just odd. Also, yesterday I was texting Kanao and then she went silent for a while. I tried texting the both of you but neither you nor Genya texted me back until around the same time as Kanao" I said, "What were the 3 of you up to?"

"We were planning your surprise birthday party," he mumbled.

"Ha ha, very funny Inosuke. Seriously though, what's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just you I think" he said as he continued on his phone. I sighed and got up to return to my desk, I grabbed my pencil and started on the sheet.

I managed to finish up the sheet but then I was more worried than anything.

I WAS going to tell them about something creepy that happened on the train this morning, but now they were acting pretty off too. So I felt like maybe telling them wasn't the best idea.

It was strange, it felt like someone was watching me even though there was hardly anyone on the train. Which didn't help the situation, it just made it creepier. So I closed my eyes and simply listened, for anything that would calm me.