Chapter 1 | An Ice Gun

Zenitsu's POV

I tapped the end of my pencil anxiously on my desk while looking out the window at the city, there were tall buildings surrounding the school and still more off to the distance of the mass city.

The city of glass buildings glimmers in the light.

"Zenitsu you should eat something, you'll spend the afternoon classes in hunger" Genya said as he tapped the edge of my lunch with his chopsticks.

I sighed, he made a face at me and then asked, "What's wrong?"

"Kaigaku's being more overbearing than usual" I grumbled, "And since Gramps has been working more there's no one there to tell him to leave me alone"

"Tell him yourself Zenitsu," Genya said.

"It's not that easy, he never listens to me even at the best of times, let alone when I stand up for myself" I told him.

"He's a real bully to you, you need to stand your ground" Kanao said as she took a sip of her strawberry milk tea.

"Yeah quit being a pushover" Inosuke said through a full mouth of food.

"You guys make it sound easy, and recently he won't let go of the fact I dropped out of the academy since he's so close to graduating" I rolled my eyes.

"Don't feel bad, lots of people drop out and a lot still go on to have really good jobs" Kanao said.

"The academy sounds overrated anyway" Inosuke shook his head in annoyance, "Nothing but corrupt military figures with too much power"

"It's not like that Inosuke, the curriculum is just really hard to follow. Physically and academically" I said, "You would be good with the physical part of the academy though Inosuke, stamina, power, strength, endurance, speed. Not so much the academic part though" I ended with a little snort, "You might even get recruited this year"

"Are you calling me stupid!?" He yelled.

Inosuke was about to go on a rampage when Kanao gasped suddenly.

"Look there's smoke!" Kanao shot out of her chair and pointed to the city, where there was indeed smoke rising from the buildings.

Everyone in class went over to the windows, some even took out their devices to record the scene. Then there was a sudden loud boom and a cloud of fire shot up into the air. The ground shook slightly.

"I live near there," Someone whispered. Others who lived in that area started to agree.

There were more explosions going off in the distance and people started to freak out.

"Students, please stay calm and stay in your classes. More instructions will follow soon" the principal said over the intercom.

"Look, there's already a news story on it" Kanao said and passed her phone around the group.

It was an article describing a massive fire at some warehouse. Inferno at the center of the action.

"And he strikes again" Genya mumbled, "I can already hear Sanemi complaining about him"

"Genya, since your brother is a field commander, maybe he'd know why Inferno always gets away," Kanao asked.

"He strikes when you least expect it, and he fights in the fire which also causes a lot of smoke. He also never fights at close range, and he always manages to get away" Genya explained, "Wait, your sister's a field leader, wouldn't you know about it too?"

"Shinobu doesn't like to talk about it, and Kanae recently became a junior instructor so she's not super informed on it," Kanao explained.

"That guy's annoying, he's all over the news whenever he pulls a stunt like this" Inosuke sighed, "And the last time he blew up a warehouse he blocked the road to my Nana's work and she had to take the long way for several weeks"