Chapter 13 | Interrogations

Kaigaku's POV

I heard the scream.

I was just scrolling through the internet when I heard Zenitsu exit his room. And I figured it was high time I knew what he was doing all these late nights. I got up out of bed and went into the kitchen, I heard some talking from outside, on the balcony. And it wasn't just Zenitsu out there. It was a muffled voice, and I couldn't make out the words unless I got closer to the door.

Though the voice was still more muffled than Zenitsu's. But there were sounds of slight laughter.

Then Zenitsu's voice exclaimed something, and then it turned into a full-on scream.

I burst out onto the balcony, there was no one. But in the distance I could hear Zenitsu screaming. I went over to the balcony and looked over the edge, there was nothing there. And then in the corner of my eye, only for a split second, I saw a shadow flash through the air.

I leaned over the railing and looked down the street, there was a flash of a person jumping over a building. That's where Zenitsu's voice was coming from.

___

I raced down the sidewalk, my sneakers were untied and my phone was gripped in my hand. I was barely keeping up, I was about 3-ish blocks behind them. I'm a fast runner but they were jumping over buildings like it was nothing.

I would see them as they went high in the sky and follow them, like following a star. Only the star was moving, and screaming as it lowered in the air.

I almost lost them a few times but Zenitsu's high pitched little girl voice was like the dot on a radar.

I panted and slid down the side of a building as I watched them land in some park in the middle of a field surrounded by a few trees and benches. I panted heavily, I had just sprinted 15-ish blocks without a single sip of water or a break. It was my new personal best.

I watched the both of them take a seat on the swings, I squinted but I still couldn't make it out. I pointed my phone at them and zoomed in, still they seemed far but I could get a closer look at them. I saw Zenitsu rummaging around in a bag, then he said some things to the other person and they went bridal style again and jumped off.

I didn't bother trying to follow them, they went over some buildings and I lost them. I was still panting, they were only at the park for a few minutes before going off again into the sky. I stayed on the ground for a few more minutes to catch my breath. I didn't know who Zenitsu was with, but if they had that kind of gear and I couldn't recognize them, then it's probably bad, bordering on illegal.

'I'll just go back and wait for them' I thought as I got up, my legs felt like jelly, 'Wouldn't it have been so great if I had had that idea 10 blocks ago?'

___

I sat at the comfy chair in the corner of Gramp's room. I pulled the curtain back slightly and propped my phone up against the window to record. Gramp's sleep apnea machine was whirring softly in the background of my thoughts. It was late, the room was dark, there was a blanket on the side of the chair which I had draped over myself. My eyes felt droopy and I had positioned myself in the chair to be in the most comfortable position.

I tried to keep my eyes open but the chair was too comfy and the apnea mask made a nice soothing white noise. And before... I knew it... I had drifted... off.

Zenitsu's POV

He had carried me off to a forest outside the city. There was a clearing of trees against a wall of rock with several scorch marks. He said we could test the gloves here and it would probably be fine.