Chapter 8 | Tadami

Zenitsu's POV

I sat at my desk, staring at the board. I thought deeply about Inferno, the way he spoke. The way he acted like a teenager even though he was a seasoned arsonist and thief. It all seemed so... interesting.

I wanted to get to know more about him, I wanted to help him, even if that made me an accomplice. I felt something hit the side of my arm before it fell down on my desk.

I glanced to the side and saw a small folded piece of paper, then I looked up at the teacher. She was busy writing something on the board while talking to the class but not facing the students.

I slipped my hand over the paper and pulled it onto my lap. I picked up my pencil and scooted my notebook closer to the edge of my desk. I pretended to be writing something but really I was reading the note in my lap, though from the front of the class I was just looking at my paper.

This may have been a little much just to read a note, but Kanao was the one who had thrown the note from the desk next to mine and note conversations always last the entire class no matter how much time is left.

'What's up with you? Ur not even paying attention'

'I'm just thinking about stuff that's been happening' I scribbled and flicked the note back.

'I can tell there's something up with u, wut is it?'

'I met someone'

I heard her gasp slightly at the note and glance over to me. She quickly wrote something and waited for the teacher to turn around again before flicking the paper back over to me.

'What!? Who!?'

'You don't know them personally'

'An outside friend?'

'Not a friend exactly, but someone I met recently'

'Ok, what's their name?'

I thought of something quickly, a small white lie to continue telling her the truth.

'Their name is Tadami'

The bell rang and indicated the lunch break.

"Zenitsu, who's Tadami?" Kanao asked as she rushed over to my desk with her lunch and sat down next to me.

"Just someone I met not too long ago" I said vaguely.

"Yeah, but who IS she?" she asked again.

"It's hard to explain, so I just won't" I shrugged.

"Why not? How complicated can it be?" she pressed.

"What's going on?" Genya asked.

"Zenitsu has a secret girlfriend" Kanao sighed, "But he won't tell me anything about her"

"I don't have a girlfriend," I said.

"Forever and always," Inosuke added as he came to sit down with us.

"Wow, thanks for that" I rolled my eyes.

"Don't be such a downer, it'll happen one of these days" Genya said, "Probably not anytime soon, but y'know, one day for sure"

"You two are horrible," Kanao snapped at them. "Please, tell me the story of your love!" she exclaimed as she took both her hands in mine and looked me right in the eyes with a pleading face.

"It's not a love story, it's just a story of how I met them" I sighed as I shook my head.

"Well then, let's hear it," she insisted.