Chapter 11 | Farmers Market

Tanjirou's POV

We stopped in front of a pear stand and I laughed when I saw the agents run right past us, looking around frantically.

"We're good, let's get you to school, you should only be a few minutes late" I said as I turned around to start walking the opposite direction that the agents went in, which coincidentally was the way to Zenitsu's school.

He ran in front of me and placed his hands on my shoulders harshly as he stared at me intently. I jumped a little at the sudden movement.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He stayed quiet for a moment, "You're a redhead" he stated seriously.

I laughed, "Yeah, I get it from my dad"

"You look too young to be a criminal," he said.

"I think that's just because you thought I was older to begin with, even after I told you my real age I guess you thought I'd still look older" I chuckled.

"Now I really want to see your face!" he exclaimed.

"Aren't you curious?" I said as we started walking.

"I hadn't really thought about it actually, but now that I've seen some of it, I want to see the rest of it and I think that's only fair" he huffed.

"I gave you a ride to school!" I exclaimed playfully.

"Yeah, and we almost got arrested" he added, "and I'm still late for school"

"Oh calm down, it's fine, we got away didn't we?" I asked him with a raised brow.

"One of these days we're going to get caught I swear" he sighed.

"Don't worry about it, if you get put on the wanted list I'll help fake your death and you can live the rest of your life peacefully in Italy or something" I shrugged.

"I don't know if I could handle that, living a lie would be too much pressure for me" he said with fake pain in his voice, then he laughed loudly. His laugh was nice, I liked it, it sounded good and genuinely happy. It made my heart flutter slightly, I was surprised by the feeling. Like a butterfly had found its way into my chest. It was an odd but not unpleasant feeling, it was a soft tingle that I felt in my heart when he turned to smile at me. It was a soft and comforting smile. 'I wonder, what is your name?' I thought, 'You said you wanted to know who I was, I want to know who you are'

I walked him through the farmer's market, there was so much to see and do all over the place.

"Let's come back here, I'd like to walk around" I heard him say.

"Sure, we can come here today instead of the playground" I offered,

"That's good yeah, it'd be good if I could get more sleep to avoid doing this again" he laughed slightly.

"Y'know, whenever you need a ride I'm happy to give you one" I smiled, though he couldn't see it.

"You've gone from arsonist to taxi" he chuckled, "Though how would I even call you? Today I totally came across you by chance"

I reached into my back pocket, thankfully I hadn't dropped my phone in the chase, that would be very bad.

"Here" I said as I slipped my phone out and held it in his direction, "Let's exchange phone numbers, friends do that, don't they?"

"Yeah I totally forgot about that" he said as he slipped his phone out of his own pocket and we switched.

I put myself on his phone as 'T', just that and nothing else. But there was almost no one I had on my phone other than Rui and a few other extensions. I think I had the phone of my favourite take out restaurant saved but that was it.