Past hurts | Zuma x Gasket

It was suspicious to his fellow teammates when they discovered that their water-rescue pup and their friend go somewhere every night. No one knew where, or for that matter why, but they shook it off. He was not a small puppy anymore, he could go whenever he wants, wherever he wants.

It was after dinner when the pups slid onto the beanbags and were going to have a movie night. But they noticed Zuma walking away.

"Zuma? Where are you going?" Their leader asked the pup.

"I am going to sleep, not feeling good. Good night." He said and walked out. Ryder knew he was lying, Zuma was never tired of anything, and he even never caught a cold. He thought about what was happening, but it was just a pure guess.

As Zuma walked out, he didn't go into his pup house. He went straight onto the driveway and walked to the beach. It was getting darker and darker and the night breeze was hitting his face. As he got closer to the beach, he spotted the reason he came there.

"Hey, Gasket!" He shouted as the other pup looked in his direction. She got up and walked towards him.

"Hey, Zuma! Glad you came." She said and wrapped him in a hug. To Zuma, it was comforting and warming, given that she is a husky and has a thick fur, which keeps her warm no matter the conditions. 

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Zuma said, questioning her statement. They let go of each other and laid down on the sand.

"I dunno. You've been rescuing all day as I saw, so I thought you would be tired to come." Gasket said, her smile fading away.

"Gasket, I would nevew be tiwed to not come to hang out." He said as he looked at Gasket. As she looked back at him, he melted into her gray eyes. 

"Zuma?" "O-Oh, sowwy." Zuma said, looking away in embarrassment. Gasket giggled and looked back at the sea.

"You know, I used to windsurf a lot." Zuma's eyes perked up after hearing it.

"Y-You know how to windsuwf?" He asked, getting a nod from the husky. "And why did you stop? It is one of the most exciting spowts I know." Zuma asked. Gasket looked down.

"I guess I could tell you." She said. She took a deep breath. "Before I joined the two idiots, I was alone as a stray. But, I still managed to make myself a small cottage? You could call it that, it was just a wooden box in the forest and I lived there. But I didn't have anything to do, so I started doing sports. I tried throwing darts, not a great idea. I tried the long jump, not a great idea either. But then, I saw a broken paddleboard on the shore, so I grabbed it and repaired it. Then I tried windsurfing and I became actually quite good I think." Gasket said. Zuma grabbed her paw and she blushed from the sudden touch.

"You must've been a gweat windsuwew. You know what? Let's go windsuwfing!" He exclaimed. But Gasket was still sad.

"That's the problem. I can't." Gasket said, now facing directly Zuma.

"What?" "Yeah, I can't. The reason I stopped is because I-" She started crying. Her emotions kicked in as she was about to say why. Zuma moved to her and wrapped her in a hug to comfort her.

"Let it all out." He said quietly as he rubbed her back whilst she was still crying. She eventually calmed down. She looked back at Zuma.

"I lost someone. And I'm scared I lose someone again." She finally said. Zuma hugged her even tighter. He didn't know much about Gasket's past, heck, no one except her new owner. But he felt that she trusted him to even let go of what happened to her on the physical side.

"May I ask who did you lose?" Zuma asked quietly and scared. Gasket then lowered her head down.

"My pup." She mumbled under her breath. Zuma understood only the first word.

"I am not going to push you. But if you want to ta-" She put her paw on his mouth to shush him.

"I lost my pup. Zuma, I was raped! That's why I joined that stupid crew. That's why I am so grateful for Katie. That's why I care about you!" Gasket cried out as she fell on Zuma's shoulder. He rubbed her back as she cried herself again out. He never knew she had a pup. Well, no one did.

"Gasket. You are safe now. Don't worry." Zuma reassured her. He immediately thought of the one who did it to her and promised himself to kill that guy if he finds him.

"Zuma, I love you."

He heard under his chin. He thought he was just making things up in his head, but it sounded real to him.

"W-What?" "I said I love you, dummy." Gasket lifted herself up and smiled at Zuma. "You care so much about me. If I say that to the two idiots, they would laugh me out. But you didn't." Gasket said.

"Of couwse I didn't! Why would I? You awe one of my friends. You've gone through some really bad stuff and you need someone by your side. I will be here, no matter what,

just for you."

She then couldn't resist it anymore and kissed him. She was so relieved that she finally kissed him. Zuma was shocked at the sudden action but melted into it. They stayed like this for a while, until Gasket pulled out.

"You know, you said two sentences clearly with R's in them." She giggled. He thought about it.

"I did? Well, possibly I'm becoming good again." He said and looked at her. "And you really love me?" 

"Of course I do. No one else, only you, for months." She said. "When I first saw you, I immediately fell for you. But that day turned from the best to the worst. That was the day I was raped and got pregnant." She said, wiping her tears.

"Gasket, I love you very much. I'll stay by your side till my heart stops beating. I promise you." Zuma said and smiled. She returned it and nuzzled his chin.

"I know. I know that you will." She said and laid down next to him. "But one thing. I don't want to have a pup yet, alright?" She laughed as she said it. Zuma giggled and nodded.

"I wouldn't do it if you didn't want to."