Chapter 2

Ratneshwari wore a beautiful orange sari. Her long braided hair reached her waist. She had a dusky skin tone. Her eyes were very beautiful just like Goddess Meenakshi. She was usually very talkative. But that day, she was shy. Afterall, the groom's family had come to see her.

Shivan was sitting on the sofa with his mother, maternal uncle and his maternal uncle's wife. He was a handsome and well-built man. He wore a light blue shirt and black trousers.

But the thing that fascinated Ratneshwari the most was his moustache. She had always wanted to marry someone with a moustache. All women want their prospective husbands to have certain qualities. Their thoughts may be as silly as wanting a husband who has a moustache.

Shivan's mother was talking to Ratneshwari.

"What is your name, dear? "

"My name is Ratneshwari."

"How are your studies going?"

"I completed my M.A. just a few months ago. "

"My husband told me a lot about you. He said that he saw you in your cousin's wedding. He really liked you. He wanted to make you his daughter-in-law. He even asked your father about it. But before the marriage could take place, God took him away. So, we have come to talk about your marriage with my son. You are a nice girl. My son will be very fortunate to have you as a wife."

Shivan's uncle said to Ratneshwari, "Do you know how to cook?" Ratneshwari said, "Yes uncle, I know to cook. I can cook many dishes." Shivan's uncle smiled and looked at his sister. She was also smiling. He said, "My nephew also cooks very well. After your marriage, I will go to your house and both of you will have to cook a nice dish for me." He started laughing.

Ratneshwari was smiling. She couldn't keep her eyes away from Shivan.

Krishna proceeded to talk to Shivan.

"When did you join the police force?"

"I joined the police force 2 years ago after completing my M.A."

"Where did you pursue your M.A. ?"

"I pursued my M.A. from the University of Madras."

"Do you know Srinivas? "

"Yes, I know him. He is a good friend of mine."

"That's good. He is my brother-in-law. "

The date of the marriage was fixed. Everyone seemed to be happy. After the guests left, Krishna went to Ratneshwari. He said to her, "Are you happy? Do you like Shivan? " Her eyes lit up. She said, "Yes Anna, I like him. He is so handsome and also cooks well." Both of them laughed.

Krishna was glad that his sister was happy. He loved her a lot and couldn't bear to see tears in her eyes.