chapter 40

you wake up the next morning to jack tapping you on your shoulder.

"it's paintball day." he whispers.

you smile and stretch to wake yourself up. you hop in the shower while jack makes you a coffee. after wrapping your wet hair up into a towel, you hear a soft knock on the door and jack opens it, holding a mug.

"here you are." he hands you the mug and scurries out of the bathroom. you laugh and shout "thank you!"

after enjoying a relaxing morning with jack (you reading while sipping your coffee, and jack face timing his mom), you guys are ready to head out for your date.

"wanna leave a little early so we can get some lunch before i destroy you in paintball?"

you give jack a look. "yes to the first part, and no to the second part. i'm gonna destroy you in paintball."

jack laughs. "oh really?"

"yep". you throw the car keys to jack and get in his car.

"what do you wanna eat?" you ask jack.

"uhhh you pick. i don't really care."

"chipotle?"

"sure. i love that place."

"i know". you smile at jack.

"you know me so well." jack puts a goofy grin on his face.

"wow. it's almost like i'm your girlfriend or something."

"something like that." jack says as he pulls into a parking spot.

you order a burrito and jack orders a bowl. you both eat pretty fast, probably due to the fact that you're both starving.

after a quick lunch, you arrive at the paintball place. you walk up to the check in desk to confirm the reservation that jack made.

"hi welcome! what's the last name?" the receptionist asks.

"hughes. h-u-g-h-e-s. first name is jack."

"perfect. i got you here. for two, correct?"

"yes." says jack.

"alright, you guys are all checked in and set. if you would just head to the equipment room, the trainers will set you up. have fun!"

"thanks." you both say.

you make a right into the equipment room, and just like the lady said, two guys are waiting to get you guys dressed.

the guys give you the protective jumpsuit and goggles to put on.

you put your hair into a high ponytail and put the googles on top of your head, and jack does the same. his flowy hair sticks up, and it looks adorable.

after getting dressed, you get to get your paint guns.

"so before i send you guys out onto the course, just do a test shot to make sure the gun works properly." the worker points to a target on the wall. you shoot yours first, and a purple glob of paint appears.

"okay now my turn." jack says with a smile. he turns to shoot at the target, but then aims at your chest, and a glob of green appears.

"hey!" you give him a death stare. "i am so gonna get you back."

"you better run." the worker tells jack.

jack starts to run out into the course but you catch up to him. you shoot him and a yellow splats onto his leg.

"haha! gotcha!"

"oh boy for long." jack starts running in your direction, and you sprint away, looking for cover.

the next hour looks exactly like the paintball scene from ten things i hate about you, you and jack running from each other, hitting each other with paint, and lots of laughs. at the end, you are both covered in paint from head to toe.

you're all out of paint, but jack has one shot left. he aims and it hits you in the mouth, turning your lips blue.

"oops, i missed." jack says when he sees your face.

"here, let me get it off." jack kisses you and turns his lips blue too.

you both walk back to the equipment room to return your clothes and guns.

"there's some showers if you want to rinse the paint off of your clothes and hair." the worker says after you and jack throw your jumpsuits into a wash bin.

"oh thank you, but i think we'll use the shower at home." jack says with a smirk.