Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Remus shouted in outrage and denial when he was unable to grab Janus's boring half and pull him from the pale yellow door; to stop Self Preservation from walking purposely into the abyss within. The Duke started banging on the door and yanking at it. He was going to get into that room and save what was left of his Janus. He couldn't lose Janus. Without Janus, there would be nothing to save anyone. No one to save Remus from himself. Nothing to save the others from each other. Nothing to save Thomas. They would all be lost.

"Remus! Remus!" Roman was calling his name but he was a bit preoccupied, making a new opening. He was going to get in. He was Intrusive Thoughts. He could get in anywhere.

"Kiddo-" A hand touched his shoulder and Remus whirled around, fist swinging. Someone pulled Patton out of the way in time for him to miss.

"Don't you dare fucking touch me!" He growled out. "I blame ALL OF YOU!"

The Lights and Virgil were all huddled close together, looking at him with so much fear and worry. And wasn't that just fuckin' hilarious. "Just calm down-" Logan began.

"Don't you dare tell me to fuckin' calm down, or I'll make a wallet out of your skin!" Remus snarled.

Logan took a steady breath, placating hands held out in surrender, as if that would help calm the raging Duke in front of them. "He may be alright. It is a room made for him." Logan tried again.

Remus really wanted to kill them all. He found himself stalking to the group, and a part of him was delighted when they all took a few collective steps back from him. "I will tear this mind apart. I will drive Thomas insane. For as long as he doesn't come out of that room, intact. I am going to wreck chaos. And if he is gone. I'm taking us all with him." He threatened, letting a feral grin spread on his face. "And I dare you to try and stop me!"

"Remus you know you can't do that!" Roman went to argue.

Everything started going dark. And Remus let out a dark laugh. "Challenge accepted. Brother." He said and with a snap of his fingers drowned the whole place in a dark fog, disappearing from their sights. He was going to show them. He was going to make them regret everything. Including Thomas. Starting with sleep deprivation.

The dorks better hope Self Preservation does come out of the abyss behind the door. They better hope he comes back soon.

And make them suffer he did. He even scared Sleep away, which was a bonus. He drove them to the very edge of sanity the longer Janus stayed in that room. He caught Virgil trying to pick the lock and even when the door opened, no one was able to walk into the abyss, this being tested by the door slamming shut on its own when one of them had tried. So he continued his rien of terror, going as far at to enter the others rooms; their safe place and sticking monsters of all sorts in their closets and under their beds. He turned their food into bugs and their liquids into poisons.

He gave Thomas nightmares after nightmares and squashed any good dream Roman tried to deliver. And none of them could stop him. Only Janus was ever able to stop him. But Janus wasn't here now. And he was making very damn sure he was made it all of their problems.

(Self Preservation)

Self Preservation opened his eyes feeling well rested and was greeted with the sight of the ceiling in his room. His nice and warm room. He really did feel drastically more better after napping. Taking a deep breath he sat up and uncurled his fingers from around the necklace pendant that held his other shatter core piece, humming in thought as he looked at it, before putting it back inside his shirt so the two Core halves were next to each other. He supposed he should go and check on the others. It should be dinner time by now.