Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Self Preservation found himself standing in front of Anxiety's door. He was trying to come to decide how was best to approach Anxiety. Change could badly effect the Anxious Side and Self Preservation wasn't unaware that he, himself was new. He would have to be cautious. Everything was just so much like this. And the longer he was here the more the urge to fix what was wrong, grew. If he could calm Anxiety maybe the urge would lessen some. "Anxiety. May I enter?" He said as he knocked on the door.

It took a few minutes, but the door opened revealing a red puffy eyed Anxiety, whose eyes widen at the sight of Self Preservation. The door opened wider and as he looked up and down the hallway. "Where's Remus?" He asked, a slight tremor in his voice.

"Intrusive Thoughts and Creativity are taking the time to sort out their emotions at the moment. I have come to help you." Self Preservation informed. "May I enter?"

Anxiety did not move to let him in. So Self Preservation, assumed that their talk could be done in the hallway. "Help?" Anxiety parroted.

Self Preservation nodded. "I know change does not affect you well. I cam e to see if there is any way I could help lessen this sudden change. There has been a large amount of discomfort as of lately. For us to make sure Thomas stay within a health emotional state, the two of us most get along. Or else we will fail in our job."

Anxiety seemed to pause. "Lessen the change? Janus this isn't just some change. You have a damaged core. You tried to leave us! And then- and then you think that this is okay?!"

Self Preservation held up a calming hand. "I did not say that this was okay. But there is no way to fix it at the moment. So, we must all make do. My priority has always been the same whole or not. Thomas. Just like yours. I know everyone is not happy, but to change it, you and I must come to a middle ground. We must work together."

Virgil blinked, and lift a hand to cover the lower half of his face. Janus was checking up on him?! Janus could feel when there was something wrong?! Could feel when Virgil was upset! He always thought it was just the Deceitful Side coming to rub the present problem in his face. To taunt him. Could Deceit really just have been coming to check in on him? On all of them? Covered up by snarky and sassy remarks. Virgil felt his breath leave him. Every time he doubted and blamed the Deceitful Side for making things worse and causing the problem and Janus had been trying to help! "I'm sorry...." He gasped out, crossing his arms in an attempt of a self hug as he stared pleadingly at the scaleless Janus before him. "I've been so horrible to you. If it wasn't for me-"

"I would never know when Thomas and the others were in need of my assistance." Self Preservation finished, not letting Anxiety finish his claim.

Virgil stared at the Half Side unable to make words for a few breathy seconds. "You should hate me." He stated.

"That would be counter productive." Self Preservation countered, blankly with a tilt of his head. "I may not be who you want, but I hope that after this talk you will at least be at ease with my existence." He watched as Anxiety's shoulders lost the stiff hunch position they were in. It wasn't much, but it was progress. However it did surprise him when Anxiety was the one to initiate a hug by practically lunging at him; even though Self Preservation did not react to it.

"I'm gonna be a better friend." Virgil promised. Silently vowing to make up for all the mistakes he had done. If they couldn't get Janus back; fully, he was going to make sure that nothing happened to this one.

"If that is what you want." Self Preservation replied, barely blinking at the heartfelt promise from the Anxious Side.

And Virgil bit his lip. Because Janus if he was whole, would have said, something entirely different. He would have made a sassy joke about Virgil letting his walls down and how the Light Sides had tamed him or something. He never thought he would miss Deceit pressing his button just the right way to get under his skin. "Yeah." He mumbled, stepping back almost shyly giving the Half Side his space back. "I'ma- I'm gonna go lay down." He mumbled softly, going back in to his room and closing his door.