forty two

chapter forty two: the board

"I like this place" Anthony commented as the two of them walked through the parking lot of the Lonely Lodger's Inn, where the Handler had sent them "You know, I've always wanted to live in the eighties"

"I don't think you would" Five replied, glancing down at the piece of paper that had the address "I'm pretty sure people were still homophobic in the eighties babe, they wouldn't like either of us very much"

Anthony frowned "Oh believe me I know" he linked his arm with Five's "But if it wasn't for that, I just like the whole feelings of the eighties"

Number Five looked around at their surroundings quickly "Everyone here just looks so happy...it's really weird" he commented "I can't believe we're actually about to do this shit"

"Do you really trust the Handler?" Anthony asked as he held onto the boy's arm "She's lied to both of us before, how do you know that she's actually going to follow through on her side of the deal?"

"I don't" Five replied bluntly "But we quite literally have no other options, so it's a risk we have to take"

They walked towards the entrance of the building with their arms still linked "I'm just worried that she's lying to us, she always lies"

"You need to stop worrying so much love, everything is going to be fine, we're going to be fine" Number Five assured as they walked into the building, going into the lobby that was full with people. Once they were inside they approached a woman who was writing on a letter board "Excuse me?"

"Uff da! You snuck up on me there" the woman gasped as she looked at them before she put on a smile "If you two are looking for the cookies? we don't put 'em out until three"

"I can hardly wait" Five lied "Do you happen to know where the Midwest Soybean Society is meeting?"

"Sure do" she pointed across the way "Muskellunge Banquet Room, are you both looking for your mom? Is she in for the convention?" she asked.

Anthony gave his husband a look before he smiled tightly at the woman "Yep" he nodded.

Five reached into his pocket "Hey can I get some change?" he asked, handing the note to the woman.

"Oh sure! I'll just look in my purse" she looked down into the bag "Only a nickel and a couple of dimes, oh you are in luck mister" she handed him the coins.

He glanced down at his hand "You know some say the best luck is to die at the right time" he replied.

Anthony gave him a look that literally translated to 'what the actual fuck' as the woman looked rather scared while she watched the two boys walking in the other direction "Why are you so fucking weird sometimes?" Anthony asked as they entered the hallway next to the room.

"She's the one that called us brothers" Five mumbled as he approached the vending machine "We don't even look alike so I don't know where she got that"

Anthony shrugged "I could see it"

"Gross" Five muttered.

"Hey did you know that some people that you're more likely to fall in love with a person that looks like you? Maybe that's us" Anthony said "Also we both have green eyes, so I get why she saw it"