Chapter 10: Back To School

Rhydian's POV:

I waved goodbye to Tom as he headed back to the KAFE, to meet his dad and mum. I had to face my foster parents- it was gonna be a rocky conversation. I hadn't been home in at least 2 days,I hadn't told them why, but I couldn't tell the Smith's that or they would have eaten me.

I took a deep breath and walked into the house, the usual smell of overpowering air freshener,hit me like a smack in the face.

'Hello, welcome back Rhydian, how was the sleepover?' Mrs Vaughn asked.

'Great, we went for a trek up the moors and played on the rope swing, and we went to the KAFE.' I explained, utterly confused at why she thought I was at a sleepover.

'I'm gonna head up to my room and pack my bag for school tomorrow,' I smiled an awkward smile and sprinted up the stairs dodging my foster brother playing cars along the railing.

I emptied my rucksack and sorted through all my clothes and drawings. I pulled my phone out of the side pocket, and I had a text from Maddy. I opened it, it read: 'Your welcome :) x' . I knew exactly what she meant, she was the one who told my foster parents where I was, but how did she know I hadn't told her.

Shannon's POV:

Maddy and I sat in her room with a bunch of blankets and popcorn. I had been waiting for this for ages, just some girls' time, just me and Maddy.

'So, how's Rhydian?' I asked with a teasing tone.

'I don't know, ask him yourself.' she exclaimed.

'Woah, no need to shout, Maddy what's wrong?' I was quite concerned.

'Nothing, I just hate how people keep assuming we are a couple or something,' Her eyes glared at the floor.

'Well,I mean you did, kinda kiss him...just saying.' I said with a confused yet somewhat comforting tone.

'Yeah,but we've changed since then,' she said.

'Yeah, I guess we have all changed, he did think you were never coming back, he was an absolute wreck after you left,' I replied, as she stood up to place her phone from the coffee table, she smirked as a message popped up.

'Who was that?' I asked in a teasing way, she had a small blush to her cheeks and a huge grin plastered to her face.

'No one,' she rolled her eyes, 'let's just talk about how I am meant to get through school tomorrow.'

~the next day~

Maddy's POV:

I got straight up and out of bed, I wasn't gonna be late on my first day back. My mam had told the school we had been on a trip for dad's work, hopefully nobody would find it suspicious. I rushed about grabbing my uniform, straightening my hair, swallowing my breakfast in one gulp and rushing out the door and into the car.

Dad drove me to school, I was welcomed by Shannon and Tom, I had such good friends. I walked past Jimi and his football mates, they all glared at me, whispering things like: 'Where has she been?' ,'She probably ran away.' and laughing. Tom hit him on the back and told him to 'shut up'.

We headed inside the dark room before registration. I had forgotten the smell of this place- old christmas candles and beef. The nostalgia was hitting hard. Just as we were gonna leave, Rhydian walked through the doors,

'Thought you guys would be in here,' he smiled. I loved his smile.

'Yep we are heading to reg, you coming?' Tom asked.

'Yeah, lemme put my books in my locker real quick,' he replied.

We headed out the dark room, down the corridor and into our form room, Mr Jefferies sat in his usual seat smiling at me as I walked in and sat next to Shannon (Tom had agreed to swap with me as I wasn't really sure what grounds me and Rhydian were on). Everyone kept looking at us then looking at their friends and whispering.

'Settle down! Settle down!' Mr Jefferies began.

'As you can see Maddy Smith has re-joined us, after her long trip for her dad's work,' He smiled at me as, I felt everyone's eyes pierce the back of my neck, this triggered my wolf self, my veins pulsed, growing along my neck and hands, Shannon grabbed my hand and slapped it under the table. I snapped out of it. The bell rang. Science.

~lunchtime~

I was walking through the corridors when Liam grabbed my wrist and yanked me to one side.

'What do you want Liam?' I questioned angrily

'I know you weren't off because of some 'work trip', Why were you actually off?' He interrogated me.

'Can you just leave me alone?' I asked in a harsh tone,

'Avoiding the question are we. Are you scared?' He pushed me into the locker

'Liam go away! I am not some sort of werewolf so drop it! Your just being stupid! You freak!' I screamed in his face, so the whole corridor turned and stared at us.

'I am not a freak!' he yelled as he ran out the door.

I picked up my books from the floor and shoved them into my locker forcefully, and headed to the playground.

Tom's POV:

I watched as Liam and Jimi glared at Maddy. I had mixed feelings about those boys, they were nice when talking to me, but horrible to Rhydian and Maddy, not to mention what they did when Shannon was talking about the 'Beast'. I couldn't say anything to them or I'd be on their target list.

I chased after Maddy and tagged her shoulder as we went through the doors to the yard.

'Sup, Mads?' I asked

'Jimi and his friends are so annoying, especially Liam,' she laughed.

'True, but they haven't had anyone to wind up as Rhydian has been out of trouble, so I guess they were just bored?' I told her. She giggled.

'Strange hobby though, let's go find Shan and Rhydian.'