Chapter 9: Tension

Maddy's POV:

We were so close, I could see the doorway, she must have been waiting for us.

'Jana what do you want?' I said with a vexed tone.

'I want you to suffer, I want you to feel the pain I went through,' she spoke as if she was broken, but still evil.

I glared my yellow eyes at her, distracting her from Shannon and Tom who were leading my parents out of the house and back to the car. It was down to me and Rhydian now.

Rhydians POV:

Maddy stood there staring at Jana, her body being towered over. She was a true alpha, always put her pack first, always did the right thing. Shannon and Tom appeared behind Jana, signalling me to get Maddy and head back to the car with them, but just as I went to grap Maddy and run, Whitewood appeared.

I growled at her as she stepped closer to me, Maddy still having a face off with Jana. Just as I thought things couldn't get any worse Kincaid appeared, holding what looked like a tazer filled with an orange sirum.

I was prepared to attack him. Ready to pounce at any point. But instead of attacking us, he nodded at Whitewood and they both dived at Jana. I looked at Maddy who was just as confused as I was, we both went to pull them off but it was too late.

'What are you doing-' Jana yelled until she fell silent, cutting her off. Her body fell to the ground, she was out cold. Shannon and Tom stood back in shock.

'What are you doing? I thought she was on your side!' Maddy called out. Whitewood rose from the ground and stared at us.

'She was. She was on my side untill we caught her talking to 'someone' on the phone. Telling them where we were, and how to get here.' just as she said that she llunged at Maddy with a needle. She dodged it well and ran towards me. I grabbed hold of her hand and yanked her behind my back. I wasn't gonna let her get hurt.

Whitewood laughed at me.

'You can't protect her, she is weak, like you. You're both done for, nobody left to save you, not even pitiful Jana.' she yelled at us. I pushed Maddy further behind me, hiding her from Whitewood.

Tom's POV:

Shannon smirked at me and nodded at me to look at Rhydian protecting Maddy. I whispered to her ,' Very cute but can we concentrate on getting them out of there.'. She nodded and ran out the door. Great, now I am alone.

I stood awkwardly waiting for her to return, watching Maddy and Rhydian dodge Whitewood and Kincaid drag Jana away on a stretcher.

Shannon appeared. She had a large net and a rope. I looked at her in confusion.

'Ok, I will yell at them, you throw this over them then we grab the others and run, you have one shot or else.' she whispered and passed the equipment to me with a forceful shove.

'OI, OVER HERE!' she screamed. Whitewood and Kincaid turned around as I shoved the net over their heads and wrapped the rope all around the base tying their feet together.

Once I turned back to look at her, she had Rhydian and Maddy and was beckoning me to follow, so I pegged it for the door. We ran out the door and down a small, pale yellow road, which ran through a field, straight back to the car. Mrs and Mr Smith looked so relieved.

Maddy's POV:

We all hopped in the car and drove off quicker than you could bat an eyelid. There was a huge amount of tension in the car, it was driving me crazy. Shannon kept looking at Rhydian and then at me, then back and Rhydian.

She then whispered something at Tom, obviously forgetting she was in a car with wolfbloods. I heard every word. Suddenly, the tension grew. We all had heard what she had said. Even Rhydian. I glared at her, Tom laughed,

'It was a joke, Mads,' he said, breaking the silence.

'Whatever,' I spat out.

'Someone's grumpy,' mum laughed.

Everyone else joined in, as I sat there unimpressed and on the verge of tears.

'What are we gonna do about Jana?' I asked, breaking the laughter.

'Why would we need to worry about Jana?' Dad asked.

'Well I just thought since she wasn't on Whitewood's side anymore we should think about what she might do next,' I suggested.

'She will probably go back to the wild, find her father and then re-calculate and come back,' Rhydian said in a fedup tone.

The car pulled up to the house, we all clambered out.

'That was one crazy day.' Shannon said, exhausted.

'You can say that again,' Mum replied.

'Ok, I'm gonna head off, better get back to the Vaughns before they wonder where I have been, I told them I was staying at Tom's for a camping trip.' Rhydian said

'I'll walk with you,' Tom suggested as they walked down the path towards the moors together.

'Is it alright if I hang here for a bit?' Shan asked.

'Sure no problem, just make sure your home at a reasonable time, school starts tomorrow,' Dad told her

________________________________________________________________________________

Authors note word count: 870

:)