13. never should've tried

"twist my words and set them
to flame. we all know that
you'll go tell all of your
friends, that i'm the one you
wish you never met."

upon hearing her name, chaerin's attention shifted towards the guys as she waved at them

upon hearing her name, chaerin's attention shifted towards the guys as she waved at them. the sudden surge of awkwardness filled the room as the guys had realized jay's ex-girlfriend and current girl were in the same place at the same time. jake greets chaerin with a friendly hug and looks at jay with an apologetic look.

kyorin's stomach was swimming with butterflies but not the good kind. she could only feel it in her gut that something bad was going to happen and she didn't want to be there any long. she wasn't comfortable, but she just inches herself closer to jay. she pinched her fingers around the fabric of his shirt from behind and spoke in a low tone, "so, isn't it awkward to hang around your ex who's in the same friend group?"

"believe me, it is. but i think you wearing my jacket is probably getting to her," jay says, not bothering to look back at her, "birthday cake, right?"

this time he tries turning back to look at her only to see her looking in the direction of his friends. he sees them interacting with one another and takes notice of chaerin glancing over back at the two. he brings his arm and drags kyorin into his embrace, fingers tightly resting on her waist.

the gesture was sudden so that the sight of it took chaerin off guard. jina laid a hand on her shoulder as she could tell that the smallest gesture had hurt her. she watched as the couple conversed as jay ordered the special for the two to share.

her eyes glazed over the jacket that were over kyorin's shoulders. the enlarged piece of clothing had put a shadow against her figure, making it visibly obvious that the jacket was clearly not hers. a sickening feeling was present in her stomach and she tried to push it away. the sound of kyorin's laughter was faint but felt so close to chaerin. envy was written all over her face as she takes a seat next to heeseung.

"ok! we're back and with our own ice cream,"jay announces, holding a pint of ice cream that had a red heart plastered on the front. there were two little tags that read angel's love and september 21st. chaerin pulled a grin on her face and decided to excuse herself to get hers and jina's order.

"i'll go order for us, do you guys want anything else?" chaerin asks.

"don't forget my java chip ice cream!" jina says, smiling at her friend after averting her gaze from kyorin. she moves her hand to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"wait, have you met kyorin before? why not introduce yourself?" jungwon innocently asked.

"oh no don't worry! they know each other," jina says with a friendly smile on her face—one that had managed to tick kyorin off. kyorin sat down on the stool with jay in front of her. chaerin gave jina a look that read stop it all over her face.