Seventeen

The day we went back to New Jersey was also the day that I could determine that I was happy than ever.

We had a blast on our week away. We did things that we wanted to do. We went to places that were a part of our journey. I finally got to visit Tobias' hometown. I met his grandmother. Tobias and I shared a lot of beautiful moments together. And I learned that life is beautiful as much as the world and the universe. I'm sure this week would stay as a beautiful memory.

I felt Tobias leaning on my shoulder. And I breathed into the scent of his hair again.

"You were right. Your grandmother is indeed elegant."

I could feel him smiling on my shoulder. "She really is." Then he looked at me. "Did you enjoy our little staycation?"

"I did." I said. "Did you?"

"Oui." And then we both smiled at each other. We stayed in that position for a while. I watched the darkness outside. Even if you can't see much of it, you'll know that the world was beautiful.

Tobias chuckled for no reason. "What's funny?" I said.

"I just can't believe all of it. I mean—this, you and me. Us. You know if I am capable of writing a four-hundred page novel, I would write about us. I would tell the world our story. And how weird but beautiful it is."

Now I'm laughing. "You will?"

"I will."

"You really will?"

"I really really really will."

"What would be the title?"

He thought for a moment. "Weird Boys." Then we looked at each other. Then we busted out laughing. Tobias Antoine, the man who never fails to make me laugh.

And then we were silent again. "What about you? If you were to write a book, what would it be about?"

My book. What would it be about?

"I think it would be about a guy who is finding his way in life. Who will change into a new version of himself—a better one—and will live according to how he wants. I would write about the world and its secrets or treasures that it hides within itself."

"That's beautiful. What happens to the guy?"

"The guy will eventually find a love interest and he'll fight for his love, whatever it takes. He'll realize that his love is the strongest thing in the world and no human or thing can break that bond between him and his lover. The world can't always be a safe place, but for him, for them, there's nothing more safer than whenever they have each other's hand."

For a moment, we were quiet. Tobias was just looking at me. And he was smiling.

"You'd make a beautiful writer, Elliot. Your story, it's fascinating," he said.

My story. "You do realize that it's my story that I was narrating, right?"

"I do. That's why I said it's fascinating. If ever you make that a real book, I think it would inspire many people—including me, of course."

"Bet your ass."

He laughed. And so did I. And we were again quiet for a moment. I feel like holding his hand, so I did.

"What would be the title of your book?" he asked.

"I think I'll just keep it simple."

"Wise decision. What is it?"

"Since it's my story that I would be telling, it would be my name. Elliot."