One

Holiday break was spent fine.

Chilly. Cold. Snowy.

I've dyed my hair back to its natural color, brunette. Though I'll surely miss having that dope white hair. Clara helped me with the process. As the usual tradition, Alvin's family and my family hosted a gathering for us to spend Christmas together.

"Could you two boys stop playing for a while and help me in the kitchen?" said Mrs. Williams, though Alvin and I both know that it's more of a command than a question.

Alvin turned off his console. We both went to the kitchen. Clara was, surprisingly, helping Mrs. Williams cook.

"Since when are you a help in the kitchen?" I said.

Clara looked at me.

"At least, I am not spending my whole day just playing games knowing for a fact that there are things needed to be done here."

"You suck at cooking."

"Right, 'cause I'm the one who finished the rest of the lasagna that I cooked."

"When are you two going to ever stop fighting?" Dad said. Clara and I glared at each other before separating ways and doing what's assigned. Mrs. Williams just chuckled while Dad shook his head. He always gets this scenario everyday. I wonder if he's still not used to it.

Alvin went to his father to help decorating the Christmas tree. Dad and I put up garlands on the door frames.

Last year, we spent Christmas on our house. This holiday, we're going to spend it on Alvin's house. We switch places every year since Dad didn't want to just spend the whole holiday in one place.

My sophomore year in high school, Mr. Williams took us on a trip to Canada to spend the holiday. We stayed on a hotel for two weeks and we watched a few hockey games. Mr. Williams was a big fan of hockey. No wonder why we went to Canada in the first place.

I was interested on it, sometimes jealous. I've missed playing football. But I didn't want to get back to playing.

I wanted to spend my Christmas with Tobias if I had the chance, but I figured that we would be going to fast if we did that. Tobias and I are dating for weeks now. And I don't want him to feel pressured, and so was I. As much as I wanted him being with me right now, we need to take things slow in order for this to work.

He went to France, to his hometown, and spent the holiday with his family. The night before Christmas, I wanted to call him to check what he's doing. And just when I'm about to press call, his name appeared on the screen of my phone, requesting for a video chat.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Merry Christmas!"

I glanced at the clock. "We're still thirty minutes away from midnight."

"Then advance Merry Christmas."

We both laughed.

"Isn't it only, like, six in the morning there? Why are you up so early?"

"Five-thirty, actually," he said. "But I wanted to greet you first thing before the actual holiday starts."

"You fucking cheesy." I laughed.

"You love me."

"Maybe."

We laughed again. It was really-literally-actually cold that night. But hearing Tobias' voice and seeing him through my screen made me feel warm. I missed his warmth.

"How's it going there?" I said.

"Bon (Good)."

"Is France cold?"

"Just fine. Unlike there in Jersey. That place is hell in cold form."

"Couldn't agree more." We laughed.

"Wait—you dyed your hair to its natural color!"

"Woah, no shit sherlock. I didn't really notice that."

He rolled his eyes. "Faire chier, Elliot. (Piss off, Elliot.)" I laughed. He looked adorable when annoyed; hot 'cause he spoke french. "Not gonna lie, I'm going to miss your white hair."

"Yeah. I think I looked cooler being Jack Frost."

"You know Jack Frost now?" He chuckled.

I nodded. "I watched the film with Alvin three days ago."

"It's good, right?"

"Yeah, it is. I don't know if I want to be Jack Frost or I want Jack Frost."

We laughed. Then there was silence. The orange light from the fire place illuminates the living room. I felt a little warm, though I didn't know if it's because of the heat of the fire or because I was seeing and hearing Tobias.

The night was getting more cold. The heat was battling with it. I heard a voice of a woman speaking in french, or more like shouting something. Tobias responded in french also.

Did I mention that it makes him hotter when he speaks french? Well now there it is. Tobias was undeniably hot when he's in his french mode.

"Looks like you're in trouble. Who was it?" I said.

Tobias sighed. "My grandmother. She was telling me to bake more croissants. I think my niece ate the ones I did earlier."

"You should probably make more and give me some when you go back here."

He grinned and laughed. I missed hearing his laugh. "Right away, sir," he said. The voice of his grandmother dominated my whole speaker again. I think she was angry.

Tobias responded back to his grandma and looked at me. "I need to go now, Elliot. I don't want to sleep on our rooftop."

I laughed. "Yeah, or else you'll be the Jack Frost one, but taking up the surname literally."

"We both don't want that."

"Yup."

He waved his a hand. He smiled. "Bye, Elliot. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Tobias." He hung up the call before I could say another word. The warm feeling that I had felt earlier was replaced again with coldness. The heat from the fire was only helping slightly. I felt empty inside the empty living room.

I spoke to the emptiness of the world around me, "I miss you."