TRUTH AND TRUST

"Anyone care to tell me what the hell is going on?" I ask.

Moments later, the blue aura disappears, and I plummet from the air down to... Tristan's arms?

"I got you." He winks. Setting me down on my feet.

"Thanks," my cheeks heat up. Changing the subject, I ask him, "What did Celeste find in that book?"

Now Tristan, Celeste, and Lucas exchange awkward glances. They're all tight-lipped and avoiding my gaze. Moving to grab the book to see for myself, I'm thwarted in my efforts by Lucas who simply makes the book disappear.

"Seriously? I just want answers!" I gawk at them. "Why would you keep that from me?"

"Ali..." Lucas heaves an exasperated breath. "I promise you, as soon as I can, I will personally deliver the book to you myself. Complete with an explanation. But for now, I need you to trust me when I say, the less you know the better off you will be. At least for now."

I do trust him. But I'm growing sick and tired of everyone acting in my best interest without discussing it with me first. And I give him a look that says as much.

"I don't need protecting, Lucas. I need the truth and people who trust me to be able to handle myself."

"Says the girl who was just floating in the air with a 'don't fuck with me' shield around her she doesn't know how to control." Victor deadpans.

I shoot him the meanest RBF I've got, and he dishes it right back. Raising his brow at me in a challenge. Because this is Victor we're talking about, and he's as headstrong as I am.

Ali... I hear Ethan's voice again.

Clasping my hands to my head, I look around for what or who could be responsible for this. Meanwhile, Lucas, Tristan, and Victor all stare at me with that 'she's losing it again' look on their faces.

"What's wrong?" Tristan examines me closely.

"It's Ethan. I'm hearing his voice again." I confide.

"Oh hell... can somebody get him on the phone so she can focus?" Victor rolls his eyes.

And he's right.

I need to focus.

I have two days to work out the intricate details of our plan to save my dad. And I can't do that if I'm hallucinating, or everything will go sideways. So, clenching my eyes shut, I take several deeps breaths to pull myself together. Then I open them and give Tristan and Lucas my attention.

"Are you good?" Lucas asks.

"As good as can be." I nod. "Excuse me."

Lucas and Tristan watch as I walk to the bathroom and close the door behind me. Sucking in a ragged breath, I pull out my phone to text Ethan. He's the only one who can confirm whether I'm hallucinating or not. But like before, my call to him goes unanswered.

"Damnit, Ethan... pick up the phone." I sulk. "I need you."

After another try to get him on the phone, I resort to texting him. But my texts also go unanswered. Instead, I get a text back from an unknown number. And when I tap the message to see who it is, my heart sinks.

UNKNOWN: Ali, this is Zara. I would very much appreciate it if you would cease all communication with Ethan. He's having a hard enough time as it is with his ascension and crowning ceremony approaching. With the crown already weighing heavily on his head. Allow him peace and the ability to focus on our growing family. If you have any love left for him... I implore you, Let. Him. Go.

I don't know how to respond to that.

Except, now I know he's choosing to ignore my calls. He wants to focus on his life with Zara, and according to her, I'm making it difficult for him. Which I have no choice but to believe because he won't talk to me.

Also... damn.

Tucking my phone back into my pocket, I leave the bathroom to join the others and they instantly notice the change in my behavior.

I feel like a specimen in a petri dish. All eyes are on me. Watching my every move and taking note of every emotion reflected on my face.

"You called him, didn't you?" Lucas asks.

I hate that he knows me so well.

I can't speak because I'm afraid an endless sob will come out instead of words. So, I nod instead. Sighing heavily, Lucas closes the distance between us, as tears pour from my eyes, and he pulls me into his arms.

"Look at me," he forces my teary gaze to meet his. "Not everything is as it seems, Ali."

"Meaning what?"

"Meaning... I'm sure he has his reasons, Ali. But maybe... maybe it's time for you to move on too."

Opening my mouth to protest, I find myself at a loss for words. Because he's right. Ethan has made his position in my life more than clear. And hanging on now is just... torture for me.

I must move on.

Nodding, I quickly wipe my tears and hold my head up high. Then I pull out my phone and send the last message I will ever send to Zara.

ME: I wish you and Ethan all the happiness in the world. And you have my word that I won't reach out to him again. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

ZARA: Thank you.

Texting that was almost as hard as Kyle's funeral.

Which... I guess letting Ethan go counts as another type of death.

An emotional one.

And I know it's crazy since I'm the one who let him go first. But deep down, for me, it was never permanent. It was always until I could work through my shit. Only, he's closed the door on that possibility now.

"I need to punch something," I sulk.

"Good," Lucas replies. "Because where we're heading, there will be plenty of targets."

Placing a map on the kitchen table, he goes over the plan of attack. With plan 'A' being luring Trudy into a trap.

And I pray it works.