THAT WANKER LUCAS

It takes an hour, two spells, and a little devilry to replace the broken door and repair the hole in the wall of my room. Lucas even reinforces the wall with a protection rune.

I guess it pays to know the son of the devil.

By the time he finishes, Sybil, Ethan, and the syndicate have all shown up asking questions. Only, I don't have any answers. I don't know why they're after me or how they got past the supernatural safeguards Sybil put in place to protect the students here.

But someone does.

"It's happening again," I hear Eden whisper to Ethan. Or try to whisper. Because Eden only has one level... a million. For everything. "I saw them. Those things are coming after her again, and I don't think it's Lucas this time. This is something else."

"Eavesdropping is so beneath you, Ali-Cat," Lucas smirks.

"What do they mean by it's happening again? What's happening again?"

He thinks about staying out of it, or perhaps lying to me, but I give him a look that says, 'you can't bullshit a bullshitter'.

So, he opts for the truth.

"Before you disappeared, these... conjurations of daemons came for you. Everyone thought it was me because whenever a daemon is involved, the devil's son is always the first suspect. But these aren't real daemons. They're the machinations of a very strong mind with equal power to match."

"Meaning?" I splay my hands out in front of me.

"Meaning you've got yourself a powerful enemy, Alison."

"Ali," I correct him.

"Fine... Ali," he humors me. "Though I'd be more worried about who's trying to kill you rather than what name you want people to call you."

"No shit, Sherlock. I am worried. They came very close tonight. And if I hadn't spazzed out and faded through the damn building I might be dead right now."

"Riiiiight," he raises an insulted eyebrow at me. "You did all that by yourself. Including catching yourself after almost falling to your death. I was just a spectator who did nothing to help you."

Clearly, he's fishing for a thank you and some acknowledgement. So, as much as it grates on my insides, I aim a saccharine sweet grin in his direction, and show him the gratitude he so badly craves.

"Thank you, Lucas. For coming to my rescue."

"Don't forget the part where I saved your life."

"Whatever," I roll my eyes. Waving him off. "How did you know I was in trouble, anyway? Why were you outside?"

Again, Lucas looks wounded.

"The devil's son is always the first suspect when daemons are involved... I get it," he shrugs. "But those weren't my daemons. If they were, they would've obeyed my mental command not to attack. Besides, I would never do anything to hurt you, Ali. I walked my date to the front gate and was heading back to my room when I heard the commotion."

And I believe him.

Plus, I know what it's like to get a bad rap. Maybe that's what drew me to him in the first place. Because Lucas is kind of an asshole. And any girl in their right mind would do well to avoid him.

Which... clearly, I wasn't in my right mind. Because nothing I've done since leaving my parents' home makes any sense. Including taking up with the likes of Lucas DeAngelis. No matter how sexy he might be.