A MURDEROUS DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

My mom backs away from me, scanning my friends and preparing for whatever threat she thinks is coming. Meanwhile, the rest of us exchange confused glances. Because huh?

What does she mean which one of us is here to kill her?

As if I would let anything happen to her...

I turn back around to ask her to clarify when the smell of sulfur fills the air, followed by a deep, hollow growl. And what happens next happens in slow motion.

First, I'm tackled to the floor. Then, I watch in horror as Lucas punches a hole through my mom's chest. His fist protruding from her back, clenching her heart in his hand.

"No!" I let out a blood-curdling scream.

The thing inside me snaps, and an invisible wind blows everyone backward. Holding them up against the wall with invisible hands. Pressing and squeezing their chests to the point that they slowly start to cave in. Only, it has no effect on the person holding me. And I meet blue-gray pleading eyes that beg me to stop what I'm doing.

"You're going to kill our friends," Ethan tells me in a voice so calm and yet filled with so much more that he gets my attention.

"He killed my mom," I bit out with rage burning so strongly inside me I can't even see straight.

"Did he?" He raises his brow at me. Then nods to where my mom's body lay slumped on the floor. "Look again."

Unsure of where he's going with this, I look again. Only... it's not my mom lying on the floor... heartless. It's a very old, gross looking, mole having, lumpy-faced Witch.

Which... ew.

Also... if she wasn't my mom, then who the hell have we all been living with and for how long?

Again, I meet Ethan's gaze. Allowing his glacial baby blues to put me at ease.

"You can get off me now," I tell him. Because the last thing I need while I'm having a panic attack is him touching me.

As if he's snapping out of a trance, he quickly realizes he's still lying on top of me, and quickly climbs to his feet.

"I... I don't understand."

"That makes two of us," Lucas stares down at his blood-soaked hands.

"Who was that? And if not my mom, then... where is she?"

"I don't know," Ethan shakes his head. Helping me to my feet. "But we're damn sure going to find out."

"Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if Lucas just killed Ali's fake mom, if we don't find her real one, someone will report her missing and there's a ton of people outside who saw us all come in here." Eden points out.

Again, we all exchange glances. Frantically trying to figure out a plan.

"I could stick a daemon in a skin suit," Lucas offers.

"And have that thing sleep with my dad?" I frown. "Yeah... that's a no for me. I don't need any half-witch siblings running around."

"Depending on how long that Witch has been pretending to be your mom, you may already have a half-witch sibling around here."

Disturbing, but okay...

"We need to find my mom," I shake my head. Then turning to Lucas, I tell him, "And you need to tell me how you knew it wasn't her."