STOLEN ESSENCE

While Lucas and the others roundup Noah's now human pack, tying them together like one would tie up hostages, Ethan licks my wound closed. And the sensation of having his tongue slide over my all too sensitive skin causes my eyes to roll into the back of my head, and heat to bloom in places I'd rather not mention.

All the while, Zara pounds on the barrier he put up. Begging and pleading with him to stop. And the pain laced in her tone is so strong that I feel bad for her. My pity and her pleas do nothing to snap Ethan back to reality, however.

You know... the one where he has a wife.

Biting into his wrist, he holds it up to my lips and commands, "Drink."

He doesn't have to ask me twice.

I can feel how close to death I am, and I have no plans to let death take me. Not before I get Kyle out of prison and make the person who put him there pay.

Once my wounds have closed, Ethan pulls back. His breathing labored and his eyes still projecting enough heat to warm the entire continent of Antarctica.

Which... anyone have a spare breath lying around for me to use?

"I shouldn't have done that," Ethan whispers to me. Clenching his eyes shut as guilt washes over him.

"Yeah... well it's a little too late for that now."

Ethan shifts his gaze to a heartbroken Zara. Closing his fist to bring the barrier down and allow her inside. She fades over to him, unsure if she wants to kiss him or slap him.

The latter...

She slaps Ethan so hard across the face I'm sure his non-existent grandchildren felt it. Not that he budged or even flinched. But he does appear to regret losing his grip on his self-control.

"My apologies," he expresses remorse. "Sometimes, I am able to control the hunger, and... and the fact that her blood calls to me."

"Well, try harder," she angrily wipes away her tears.

Zara turns her rage-filled eyes on me. Pushing past me, her shoulder collides into mine almost knocking me over. And she throws a look over her shoulder as she passes that promises death.

Like I'm the one who jumped Ethan and it wasn't the other way around.

"All better now?" Tristan asks. Coming over to inspect my wounds.

"Yeah," I nod.

Because I guess you can count being aroused by someone you can't have as being all better.

I mean, at least I know I'm still capable of feeling.

And my body works as it should.

Right?

Well... if I ever found myself in love again. Which I highly doubt. The way my love life is setup... I'd be lucky to get past a strong like because I am doomed to be alone. Even with all the eye candy I'm surrounded by daily and despite my grandfather's best efforts to set me up with one of the hottest guys I've ever met next to Lucas and Ethan.

"You're in love with him," Tristan narrows his eyes at me.

I didn't even know he was there.

"Is it that obvious?" I huff a laugh.

"Yes. But how is that possible?"

"News flash, pretty boy," Victor undresses Tristan with his eyes. "Ali and Ethan were mates."

"Were?" Tristan frowns.

"I may or may not have hijacked their mating link," Lucas chimes in. "Tethering it to myself."

"Meaning what? That... you... and Ali..."

"Meaning nothing," I cut him off before his brain explodes. Trying to process the complicated web we've woven. "Mating link, sham of a marriage, or not... the connection to him is still there."

Nodding, there's respect in Tristan's eyes. Which I wasn't expecting from him. And the fact that he knows when to let things go, is yet another thing I like about him. He's the right amount of push and pull.

"My arm!" Noah cries out in pain. Awakening after Lucas had to subdue him to stop him from screaming.

Because... yeah... Ethan ripped his arm out off, and he was bleeding all over the place until Lucas worked his magic to reattach his arm.

Looking down at his arm, he's surprised and confused to see it attached to his body again. Working like nothing ever happened.

When the confusion wears off, Noah shifts his gaze to me. And he charges at me.

"You!" He shouts. "What did you do to me and my pack? I can't feel my Lycan."

"That's because it's gone," Tristan replies matter-of-factly. Angling himself to intercept Noah if he were to try something.

"What you did... stealing our essence... its illegal! And it's exactly why your kind are considered an abomination!"

"Not to interrupt," Tristan interrupts. "But can you take your volume down a bit? All the yelling and being disrespectful is provoking my homicidal tendencies. Don't lose your head over this... or another arm."

Seeing the threat for what it is, Noah backs off. But he's not done with me, and I can see it in his eyes.

"Everyone around you is going to die," he hisses at me. "And I hope to be there to watch."

"Stop talking to her," Ethan growls at him.

"Or what? You going to rip my arm off again? Go ahead... but before you do, I think you should know what role her family played in your father's demise."

Ethan and Eden's head whips in his direction.

"What are you going on about?" Eden asks him.

"Your father," Noah repeats himself. "I know where he is."

"My father is dead." Ethan's temples flare.

"Come now, dark Prince... do you really believe someone as powerful as your father could be killed so easily?"

"Are you saying our father is alive?" Eden asks. Hope shining in her eyes.

"Very much so. And I know exactly where he is. For the sixty million dollars she stole from me, of course." Noah tips his head in my direction.

"Sixty million dollars?" My eyes bulge out of my head.

"If this is a ploy... or I find out you're lying to me, I'll make you watch as I tear the rest of your limbs from your body, then have you healed so I can do it all again. It'll be the worst ground hog day of your life." Ethan warns.

"Despite our troubled and often volatile past, for once, we Lycans are on your side. Well... your father's anyway."

"Then there's just one problem... I haven't the slightest idea how to find that money."

"Ahem," Lucas clears his throat. "I believe I do. And I can have it here within the hour. Granted you make good on your promise to my friends."

"Friends?" Both Eden and Ethan raise their brow at him.

But for very different reasons.

Eden, because I'm pretty sure she and Lucas crossed the line of friendship a long time ago. And Ethan, because... well... I wouldn't exactly say the two of them are friends. I would say Lucas tolerates Ethan. Because between him and Tristan, he's the lesser of two evils.

"The ball is in your court," Ethan shifts his gaze to Noah.

"Then I guess it's time for a little family reunion."