F-YOU'S AND FAVORS

A part of my soul fractured with Ethan's kiss-off. Only to be added to by the new pep in a certain pampered princess' steps. Because now that he wants nothing to do with me, all his attention has gone to her.

And she's loving every bit of it.

I'd be fine if he would just talk to me or acknowledge me when we're in the same room together. But it's like I'm invisible to him.

Lucas isn't having much luck in the Eden department either. And after Ethan told her I knew where their father was too, she eighty-sixed me as her friend. Going out of her way to make my life more miserable than it already is. Because even though I may have stopped Kyle from turning into a Lycan, he's still in prison. Still facing murder charges, and now that we're all so divided, I'm no closer to getting him out than I was before we left.

Now, here I am, watching him beg my dad and me to get him out of prison. Because he's been beaten and placed in the ICU twice since the last time we saw him. And he's afraid he's going to die in prison.

Only, I don't have the kind of pull to free him from prison. But I do have a certain someone who's not talking to me that can pull some strings and make his life easier, at least. So, after my fourth period class, which I'm flunking by the way, I bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and approach Ethan's table.

Eden, Zara, and the Syndicate all glare at me as I approach. And my body goes on alert the moment I'm close enough to Ethan to feel the leftover remnants of our bond. Slowly, he turns to meet my gaze.

Not happy to see me at all.

"Can we talk?" I ask him.

"Honestly, Ali, I have nothing to say to you."

"It's about Kyle. I need your help."

"The answer is no." He turns his back to me. "I'm done helping you, and I'm not interested in being lied to."

"Please." I plead with him.

For Kyle, I'm willing to do anything. Including making a fool of myself if it means convincing Ethan to help me. Because he can be mad at me and take his anger out on me, but not Kyle. Kyle has done nothing wrong.

In the time it would take a person to blink, Ethan is out of his seat and standing before me. His chest heaving up and down, and his body putting off 'fuck you' fumes like he's been swimming in them.

"You have a lot of nerve coming here to ask me for favors after what you've done."

"I know. But I need you. Kyle was attacked in prison, and I know you have connections on the inside that would make his life easier."

"You mean like how you left my father to suffer at the hands of Lycans when you could have told me and put an end to it?" He asks. His angry eyes burrowing into mine. "It doesn't feel good, does it? Knowing someone you love has suffered. Is suffering."

"No," I shake my head. "It doesn't. And I'm sorry for the part I played in your father's suffering. It's not that I didn't care... I just... I thought he was better off there than weak and out in the world where whoever tried to kill him could finish the job."

"Is Kyle not better off in prison as well?"

"He's been beaten twice and placed in the ICU, Ethan."

"Still," he shrugs. "It's better than him being dead... isn't it?"

Translation... he's going to left Kyle suffer the way his father suffered. Because he's still angry with me. And he's trying to prove a point.

"Ethan... please," I beg him. "Take your anger out on me... not him. Please."

"You should go join your friend Lucas. Our table is full," is all he says in response. Before heading back to his table.

Tears fill my eyes, but I turn away from him before they fall down my cheeks. I won't give him the satisfaction of knowing he's hurt me. Even though part of me knows he'd just feel bad about it an apologize to me later when he's done being mad at me.

Wiping my tears away, Lucas tells me, "He's just angry. But eventually his anger will subside, and reason will follow."

"Kyle could be dead by then."

"Kyle could have been dead the day he was bitten, but you know what... you stopped him from turning. And you'll find a way to protect him from the outside too."

A loud creaking noise, followed by shouting and what feels like a brick wall slamming into me pulls me away from my thoughts. And I clench my eyes shut... bracing for pain.

Only... it never comes.

When I open my eyes, I'm staring into familiar baby blues. Wondering if I'm dreaming.

Ethan stands me upright, and we both look back at where I was just sitting. The large, cast-iron chandelier that was dangling above my head, having reduced the chair I was sitting in and the table where my food sat into splinters. Had he have not gotten to me in time, I would probably be dead. Because I didn't see it coming.

"Thank you," I flash him a brief, grateful smile.

"Don't thank me yet," he replies. "Because I'm pretty sure someone is trying to kill you. And I doubt they're done."

While I let that sink in, a worried Tristan comes to check on me. Having just made it to the cafeteria. For some reason, Sybil has him, Celeste, and the Syth on a different schedule than me. Making it difficult for them to protect me.

Only, now I'm wondering if it's truly a coincidence, or a carefully crafted plan to get rid of me.

Perhaps Ethan told her what I did, and this is her revenge.

"She wouldn't choose a side," he assures me. Reading my thoughts again. "She can't."

"Why? Because she loves us siphoners so much?" I deadpan.

"No... because my grandma is madly in love with your grandfather. And she would never lift a finger to hurt him."

Eyes wide, I turn to meet his gaze, but he's already gone. Having left to join Zara, Eden, and the Syndicate back at his table.

"He saved your life," Lucas points out. Walking up to me.

"He did," I nod.

"Perhaps he's not as done with you as he claims."

Smiling, I reply, "Perhaps."

Or maybe he's just a good guy who can't help but be good to a fault.

Eden and the Syndicate are shaking their heads at him as he takes his seat. And Zara is in a full-on pout. Because even though we're at odds, she knows he is still with me and I with him.