Chapter 41 Imposter

February 16th, 2006

"Damnit!" Baji yelled, punching the wall with his teeth bared, "Those bastards are going to pay for what they have done."

The room was heavy with anger and grief after what they heard. Of course, they were glad that Kai was hanging on. It was the fact that she could still succumb to her injury. Not to mention the loss of the baby. Everyone was angry.

"I don't think it was them." All eyes were on Ayato. "I may not have known Kai for very long but what I do know is that stabbing her wouldn't be so easy."

No one could object to that. Takemichi and Chifuyu shared a look before turning to spare a glance at Mikey as the boy stared at Ayato.

"What are you saying?" Emma asked.

"I think it was one of us. I think someone in this room tried to kill Kai when her guard was down. One of us is an imposter."

Masashi turned a glare in Hakkai's direction, "I say it's this bastard. He already tried to kill her once."

Hakkai's eyes widened, guilt of what he attempted to do months ago flashing in his mind.

"Hold on a minute," Mitsuya came to Hakkai's defense, "We shouldn't just start blaming each other."

"The who the fuck is it?" Masashi yelled, hands in fists at his sides.

"We can just wait until Kairi wakes up," Takemichi suggested, "She can tell us who did it."

"I am not waiting," Mikey stood up, causing everyone to look at him with unease as they looked at his face. His aura overwhelmed them with a sense of danger.

"He is right," Ayato spoke again, agreeing with her brother. "The imposter might wait for an opportunity to finish the job and silence her. They did try to kill her. Leaving a witness would be stupid."

"Who do you think it is, Yato?" Mikey asked her, dark eyes looking through her.

She looked around the room, "Kazutora-kun, Baji, and I were together all day and when Kai was attacked. It's neither of us. Mitsuya-kun and Smiley-san were attacked before Kai was. And Hakkai-kun and Angry-san stayed by their side. Arai-kun and Mori-kun were attacked during the time Kai was. All of them have been at this hospital getting treatment. I doubt Kai's brother would try to hurt her. He doesn't have it in him. And Chifuyu-kun was with him all day. Rin-kun and Subaru-kun have been at HQ. I know this because I called them when we were attacked. That just leaves you."

All eyes turned on Masashi.

"What? What the fuck? You think I would hurt Kai?" Masashi questioned. "She's my best friend. We grew up together. Why the fuck would I try to kill her? It could be someone else that isn't here. Like those Black Dragon guys. Maybe they are working for Kurokawa."

"You mean Inui-kun and Kokonoi-kun?"

He nodded.

"Can't be them," Rin said, earning everyone's attention, "Inui is resting in this hospital after the 6th Division Captain went traitor and left for Tenjiku, taking Kokonoi with him."

"How do you know that?" Draken asked. He was shocked by the news.

"Inui told me when he called me to tell me what happened. I called an ambulance for him after tracking his location. It was too far from where Boss was attacked for them to be the culprits."

"Which still only leaves you," Ayato said, walking towards the taller boy, "Where were you when Kai was attacked?"

Masashi glared down at Ayato, "I was attacked just like the rest of you."