Chapter 31 Impressions

January 7th, 2006

"Kai/ri!" several voices yelled my name, causing me to come out of my thoughts.

I heard the sounds of footsteps running towards me from behind. I swiftly turned around at the incoming member. I saw a glimpse of a knife that was targeting my abdomen.

Droplets of blood fell upon the ground. Silence. No one said a word as blood dripped down to the ground. My eyes were casted down to the knife that stopped a mere inch from my body. I felt the jolt of pain go up my arm as I winced.

The member that attacked stepped back. He continued to step back until he tripped over another member's feet as they lay unconscious on the ground. The member's body shook as he sat on his ass looking up at me.

I heard gasps of shock all around me. More droplets of blood fell to the ground as the sound of metal followed right after I let go of the knife in my hands. I turned my attention back down to my hand. Red. All I could see was the blood as it seeped out of the cut.

Why does this hurt less than the pain inside my heart?

I recalled my childhood of what one of the first Master's said to me when I told him that the reason I wanted to become the strongest was so that I could protect everyone from feeling any pain:

'If you are not prepared to undergo all of this pain, how do you expect to become the strongest to protect everyone? In order to protect everyone, you need to be able to take their pain too. If not, then you should give up this childish dream of yours.'

They taught me to tolerate physical pain but not emotional ones. I wasn't used to these emotional hits. I wasn't sure how to fight against them. I just had to do as I did with my anger, take deep breaths and focus my mind on what was right in front of me rather than let it consume me.

"W-What just...?"

"Did she just stop a knife with her bare hands?"

I did. As the member ran towards me with the intention of penetrating my flesh with the blade, I grabbed hold of it with my left hand without hesitation. I managed to stop the knife from hitting me. I wasn't going to allow anyone else to stab me.

"H-How...?" the attacked said, crawling back from me with his eyes wide as tears began to fall from his eyes.

"Hm?" I turned my attention from my new wound to the cowering boy.

Did they honestly think it would work a second time? They must have been out of their minds. They were a bunch of idiots and cowards.

"What was it again? Weren't you all supposed to show me where my place is and make me submit?"

I turned to look at the remaining members. They all looked like they were about to shit their pants. As satisfied as I was that they were cowering away from me now, I still couldn't get Take's frightened face out of my mind. Why hadn't I thought about that before? I only worried they would all be mad at me for keeping this from them. Never had I thought they would be afraid of me. Maybe I was the idiot.

"Get on your knees," the words left my lips without much thought.

The fifty members that were still unharmed quickly fell to their knees and bowed their heads to me. They pleaded with me to not hurt them. It seemed that I finally beat the lesson inside of their dumb skulls.

"Well, then," I said as I turned around to face Kisaki and Hanma, "Unless the two of you want to give it a try, I'd say I won."

Hanma began to laugh, "My, my. You are a lot more interesting than I first thought. Kai. Ri. Chan." The way he said my name and licked his lips made me shift in discomfort.