94: X-plicit

Much later that day, Trinity dropped by...she finally knew the address, Storm had not made her wear a blindfold when she'd gone home.

Of course she had to get picked up part of the way there by Jubilee...who wasn't really supposed to take the car out, but did anyway.

"Just don't tell anyone," she said.

"Jewels, do you have a license?" Trinity asked.

"Uh...no, do you?" Jubilee said.

"My dad says if you live in New York City you don't need a license," Trinity said. "I think he means that they drive crazy, but also, we don't use cars that much...you know how it is...but hey, we might move, maybe I'll be closer to the Way, then."

"Sure," Jubilee said. "Oh...uh, by the way, Rogue and Nightcrawler aren't home, and don't mention them to Gambit, he's such a crank about things like that...in fact, maybe just don't talk to him at all. He's still sore over the dinner."

"I'd say this is a bad idea," Trinity said, as they pulled into the garage. "But I don't think it'll get any better if I back out of it."

"Hey, at least you can meet Kevin," Jubilee said. "Though we're calling him Proteus too. I think it's some greek thing."

"The prophet from Homer?" Trinity said. "Or sea god, I think."

"Huh?" Jubilee said.

"Yeah," Trinity said. "But he was a shapeshifter, you had to capture him in order to get him to prophecy to you...What? I had to study mythology in school history class. I got hooked."

"Isn't that unChristian," Jubilee said.

"Not according to C. S. Lewis," Trinity said.

"Wait...oh don't tell me," Jubilee said. "Shine quotes that guy like, every day, do you actually read that? With the lion and witch and wardrobes."

"Well, I like that, but I started reading his adult books too," Trinity said. "It's interesting...and it's good to understand your faith, don't you think?"

"I'm not committed enough to read some old books about theology," Jubilee said.

"You've obviously never read it," Trinity said. "It's really interesting. Mr. Hank is into that, isn't he? Intellectual stuff."

"Yeah, but not this girl," Jubilee pointed to herself. "It makes my head hurt just trying."

"I guess," Trinity said. "I like it."

"Well, don't mention it too much, two people like that is enough...actually more than that counting Kurt," Jubilee said.

They walked up the stairs.

"One more thing," Jubilee said. "Proteus--uh, Kevin--is a little weird...he doesn't know anything about anything, and he says things about feelings a lot...like...uh not normal feelings, more like what other people feel and he'll ask why and it's a little freaky at first...it's his power, so just...don't react."

"O-kay..." Trinity said oddly. "Um. How old is this guy? Should I be worried?

"I think he's our age, maybe a year younger or so," Jubilee said. "But he acts like a little kid a lot...he's way sheltered...not like you, I mean like a recluse."

"Jewels, are you sure you're not making this out to be a little worse than it is?" Trinity said. "I'm sure he's like anyone else, and that it's the power that makes it seem odd. Right?"

"I can't tell if that was nice or offensive," Jubilee said.

"Sorry..." Trinity said meekly. "Wouldn't you rather blame it on that then say everyone is a little off in the head?"