9: X-amination

The other X-men had spread out to find them but regrouped once they doubled back.

"Hey, you okay?" Rogue asked Shine.

Shine nodded.

"Don't let that mean old Logan worry you none," Rogue said. "He's just mad at everyone."

Shine smiled weakly.

Logan didn't make eye contact with either of them.

"I'm okay." Wally waved off Storm, who was about to ask. "Just needed a minute to think. Sorry if I went off too much back there."

"It's all right," Storm said. "Between the two of us, I thought it was deserved." 

"What's eating him, though?" Wally asked. "I mean, I knew he was kind of like this but...just seems worse."

"I couldn't say," Storm said. "Logan is a mystery to most of us, and we've known him for years. Usually he is better than this, however."

"Yeah..." Wally mused to himself.

"Did...did you really feel like we were treatin' you different?" Rogue asked Shine further. "I mean, just because you're human?"

Shine brushed her hair back. "I don't feel like it, Rogue. I know it. Scott and Xavier mentioned it the first day we met them. Storm and you mentioned it the other day after that mall thing happened."

Rogue was shocked to realize this was true.

"But I know why," Shine said, "and I know I can't say any magic words to change anything, so I shouldn't try. Don't worry about it. I'm pretty used to people saying things like that for one reason or another, and I've got a thicker skin about it. Just annoys me for a short time, usually."

"Well...uh...I'm sure we never meant to hurt your feelings," Rogue said guiltily. "You shoulda said somethin' before."

"And whine about it?" Shine said. "No. I won't do that." She looked kind of determined. "I despise people who do that. I said it now. Do I need to bother saying it again?"

"I guess not..." Rogue still thought there might be more to it...but if Shine didn't want to talk, she couldn't really make her.

But perhaps because of the little tiff, Shine and Wally both did something that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise.

They told the others they'd catch up outside of town and headed back to the police station. Maybe it was really more of a sheriff's office, going by size.

Creed was still there. They could see him from the front desk.

"Is it all right if we have a word?" Shine said. "I mean, we found the guy in the woods. We're just a little worried."

"From what we've got on him already ,lady," the guy at the desk said, taking a cigarette out of his mouth, "you really got no reason to be feeling sorry for a guy like that, but if you want to have a word, knock yourself out. Just keep it down."

He picked up a newspaper.

"Who reads those anymore?" Wally said.

"Not anymore, remember?" Shine said. "I think people still did, you know.... I mean, my Grandma still does, sometimes." She walked up to Creed.

Who was sitting, staring at his hands. Then he looked up.

"What do you want, mutant lover?" he said.

Shine leaned on the bars for a moment. "I know what you think of people like me," she said, "and I know very well what they think of people like you. I know you also have every reason to hate mutants, Mr. Creed."