22: X-posed--1

The other X-men returned sometime later, in which time Morph and Mystique had both come out of the surveillance room.

Morph, though not happy, was keeping up his facade with the ease of practice and switched characters as necessary, but Mystique really was not helping him. She was fine, up until they got near Kurt, and then every time she'd stop talking and just cast Morph a look like, "Not doing it."

It was kind of annoying. It was his friends' heads if she messed this up.

"You know, he's not gonna eat you," he hissed, at an opportune moment.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Mystique denied it.

Once they heard the two guests actually come back in, they switched roles.

As Rogue, Morph told them that the others were resting and to be quiet for a bit.

"Okay, sure," Wally said, a bit flatly.

"Hey, you'll never believe this," Shine said, "but we actually did find Spiderman."

That just about killed Morph because he was, in fact, a Spiderman fan.

"Oh..?" he said, trying to remember if Rogue was one.

"Yeah, he's cool. He remembered us," Shine said.

Lying to people who knew Spiderman...Creed was really the worst person in the world.

Morph kicked himself mentally. Stay on target.

"Well, that's nice," he said. He made his escape as fast as he could.

"Well, that was abrupt," Wally said. "I mean, I thought she'd be okay by now."

"Maybe she just feels weird about it with everyone else being so mad at us," Shine said. "Don't worry about it too much."

Mystique had to make an exit too, once she heard them--but she was just a little curious to see who'd she'd been impersonating up close.

She shifted into Jubilee to walk by them.

"So what was the problem?" Shine asked.

"Oh, false alarm," Mystique answered. "They just wanted me back for safety. The Professor and Wolverine went off on a mission."

"Oh, okay," Wally said.

Shine nodded, then she said, "They drove?"

"Huh?" Mystique said.

"Well, the plane was gone," Shine said. "I was just wondering which car fits the Professor's wheel chair--it's so big. I can't think of one off the top of my head. Unless he just flew it, and someone else drove... That'd be something to see going down the highway."

Mystique shrugged. "I don't really know."

Time to get out--maybe this woman was a little too observant.

"Are you all right?" Shine just about gave her a heart attack by asking next. "You seem a bit nervous."

"Ah, you know, just don't want to start up any more fights," Mystique lied.

"Oh..." Wally said. "I see..."

Mystique got out as fast as she could.

"What took you so long?" Morph hissed from the bushes.

"I had a bit of traffic--Now is it over?" she grumbled.

"Not yet," Morph said grimly. "There's still Act 3 here. I hate this..."

"Oh, just get it over with so you can get your precious friends back," Mystique said sourly.

"You have to get a grip," Morph said. "There's too many of them. If you mess up, we're toast--and so are Wolverine and the Professor."