33: X-pertise

After Storm, perhaps Logan really didn't see the point of holding out any longer...or he just didn't want someone else getting ahead of him, because he very begrudgingly asked Shine and Wally what they "got" by the way of some..."pointers."

Shine and Wally discussed it with Kurt. Wally wasn't sure their usual approach would work with the X-men. Shine thought it was best to stick with what you knew you could do and expand later.

Kurt thought he'd have expected the reverse from their dispositions, but he found in the area of basic instruction, Shine was more by the book and Wally was more spontaneous.

They applied to him for his opinion.

"I think I might be vith Shine," he said. "There's nothing wrong vith starting vith vhat's familiar, vith new people especially. They have to learn the basics.... I set Logan in the right direction once, but you vere hoping for more. I think ve all have our own vays to discover God, but it must be founded on His vord at least."

"I don't know," Wally said. "I mean, is that gonna make sense to them?"

"At the moment, all we can do is try," Shine said. "Let's give them a week or so. We have to go with Billings, and if they do well, I think they should come with us. If they don't seem to be getting it, then we try something new. Fair enough?"

"All right," Wally said. "But I'm not good at that book-learning stuff. I'll basically just be moral support."

"I always like to hear your input," Shine said.

"I'm sure you have much visdom," Kurt said. "I can tell by vatching you you're a vise man, Mr. Vest."

Must have been the first time anyone said that to Wally West.... He was way flattered but kind of thought Kurt might be lumping him and Shine together there.

Shine agreed however.

That said...

* * *

"So you want me to read?" Logan sounded put out when Shine laid out her list of recommended reading to him.

"Yes," she said.

Logan frowned. "If I wanted to do that, I could have done it on my own. You said we'd be able to talk about peace and things like that."

Storm was eyeing the list. "Is this for both of us?" She sounded much more open-minded.

"No, I have a separate one for each student," Shine said. "At least, I try. I mean, some books everyone should read. But...look, I have a reason for this, okay?"

Wally and Kurt exchanged a look.

"Is it so much to ask?" Kurt said. "You must trust her, Logan. Ve have discussed the vord much. I think they are very knowledgeable."

"Eh...I'm not that knowledgeable," Wally said. "I picked it up from osmosis, mostly. It's all her family talks about."

"Not true, but we do talk about it often," Shine said. "Anyway, Logan, this is no time to play Naman."

"To what?" Logan said

"Now if you read the Bible, you'd know who that was and why I was using it to make fun of you," Shine said.

"Oh, I remember that story ," Wally said, "with the Jordan.... Ah, I got it. You're saying he's being a whiner about this, because if you were asking him to do something really challenging, he'd probably do it."

"Right," Shine said. "If I asked you to climb a mountain or break into a military base or dive into the sea, would you do it if I said it would help you with your problem?"