4: X-planations

"Our mission is the same as yours, bro," Wally said, leaning back nonchalantly.

Kurt looked puzzled still. "I don't even have a mission, beyond being part of the brotherhood."

"That's a mission," Shine said. "But...well...it's hard to know where to start.... I guess the beginning really is with God. It always is. He's the one who sent us here...because of Logan--much how He put you in his path, I'm guessing."

"Brother Logan is searching." Kurt nodded. "I think he has been drawn to Gott. I hope I played a small part in it."

"I think it was more than you thought," Shine said, "but he's still searching, in a way. It was just a few days ago, in this timeline, I believe, but I was having my daily time with the Lord--you know how it goes."

Kurt nodded.

"Usually that is when I get my next assignment. There's never any real warning or pattern. It just happens. I've had dreams too. But this time it was just...I got a vision--of Logan," Shine said.

"Yeah, so did I," Wally said, "only I got it while I was running."

"He rushed home right off," Shine said, "but before he did, I also heard these words, inside, you know?" She tapped her chest. "It sounded like Logan's voice saying something.... I think it was sort of a peek into what he's been looking for.... I'd heard stories of that before--people getting visions in that form.... It's even in Acts, I think. But I'd not had that particular experience before. It was odd."

"It sounds astounding," Kurt said. "I've never had such a vision, but I do know people who have."

"Skeptics think we're crazy." Shine smiled. "But we know. It's not like that's something I'd just invented out of my own head. I wasn't thinking about it beforehand. I knew at once we were supposed to come here and help him. But I can't say I'm shocked that he's pushing us away."

"He did that with me too," Kurt said. "He was so angry...but sad, I think, underneath."

"He seems mostly angry," Wally remarked.

"We can't get him to talk to us about it," Shine said. "For better or worse, I let him know what we heard. But it spooked him."

"Not everyone is ready for such revelations," Kurt said. "I don't even know if I would be.... But how did you know of the others, then? And myself?"

"We...have ways to research a calling," Shine said. "You know it's only wise to study up somewhere you're going to go. We dug into it. Some we'd heard before. The X-men are quite well known where we come from. And you're part of it. I mean, there're discrepancies, but we felt fairly sure you'd be someone who'd understand our plight here. Trying to speak to people, most of all mutants, about the faith when there's so much unfairness in the world can be quite a challenge."

"Ja..." Kurt agreed. "So much suffering. It drives people away from Gott so often. But it drives some of us to Gott."

"And however many we can turn from the first to the second is vital," Shine said.

"I agree it would do the world good," Kurt said, "but not everyone wants to hear this. We can pray for them, but if you are going to try to convince people like Herr Logan of this, you will have a challenge. Logan seems to believe, in a way, but I do not think he would like being pushed."

"Hmm, that's true," Shine said, not at all concerned, "but it makes it more fun that way."

Kurt raised an eyebrow. "And what about what I was told? You claim to be from the future? How can such things be?"

"God's outside of time," Wally said, like it was old hat now. "Why is it so hard to believe? Other people time travel with machines."

"Fascinating," Kurt said, "and miraculous...to come so far...or so far back, just for one man?"