Chapter One

The cave held a dim light. The rocks hadn't a single drop of water on them. It didn't have a single smell other than the people in it. Sakura's flowery scent was hitting her nose. The lake in front illuminated the light. Beautiful.
Someone touched the surface only to discover the liquid was not water. They decided to jump. She wasn't scared not anymore. If this was the way to Hanabi she would jump a hundred lakes. A warm feeling wrapped her. It was familiar like the sun bathing her skin with its light. Naruto.
Sakura woke them from the dream. She smiled at her friend. It was a good thing she was part of the team. They proceeded in their search. They reached in a place which appeared to be an abandon city. It was peaceful and yet sad. An entire civilization rot under the blazing sun. She took a moment to appreciate the work that was done by souls lost in the unforgiving time. Someone had to witness it, to wander their eyes in the ruins, to give it value before it was lost forever. The wind was blowing her hair and with the corner of her eyes saw Naruto staring at her. He was making a strange face, she had seen it before but couldn't quite place it.
They walked at the alleys of the unnamed city, searching for clues in the houses. She was clumsy like always and Naruto got hurt. She offered her ointment and then her hands to place it at his back. He had grown significantly over the last years. His back was larger and taller. She knew. She observed him closely so she could tell even the slightest change. He was silent. Maybe a little nervous if her guess was right.
They met with the others and checked of their findings. After their encounter with the strange eyeless man and the vision he gave to her she was more confused. She could leave the thinking to Shikamaru. He was better at this than her. She should focus on rescuing her sister. That was the only meaning she had in this. Byakugan Hime. She knew of someone that used to call her princess sometimes. He was lost like the people of this city.
They decided to camp for the night. She lighted a candle and took the scarf out. Naruto approached her, he wanted to talk. There was a hand that was grabbing her heart. Hinata-sama. She excused herself. She wanted to be alone.
The next day they approched another place. This one had fully growth trees. This much green reminded her a little of Konoha. But as the landed it was a village similar to the previous one. Hanabi was nowhere to be found. They would stay to rest and form a plan for the next day.
She found a place like a forest with fireflies flying around.
The solitude was welcomed. The whole place held a fragile peace that even breathing felt wrong.
She sat on a rock started her work from where she had left it. She was close on finishing it at last. It didn't matter anymore, she knew. But maybe if she did this one right, things would be better. With every turn of the needle, every interwine of the strings, her end of the road was slightly visible.
Naruto got out of the trees. His presence, so beaming bright was out of place. He didn't belong in this calmness.
"Hinata I wanted to talk to you." He scratched his head in his silly little manner he always did when he was nervous. She liked that querk of his.
"You know...well...what I wanted to say..." He stopped in his tracks when he felt another presence. Toneri had come at last. Naruto was ready to fight him.
"I didn't come for you." He barely acknowledged his presence.
A thousand lakes. She left the rock she was seating, the fireflies irritated by her movement. She walked to Naruto and standed facing him. She took one last look on him whole. She wanted to saviour his image. Her hands took his and placed his scarf into it.
"Goodbye Naruto-kun."
She heard his screams when she was leaving in the starless sky with Toneri. It didn't matter. Hanabi was one step closer .

______

The halls in the castle echoed each step. They were passing huge empty rooms that felt less lonely than the one with puppets. Toneri had explained his plan in details yet he still hadn't let her see Hanabi.
"I want you to make me a scarf." His calm voice was senting chills in her spine.
When she agreed he looked like a child getting his favourite toy. He accompanied her to Hanabi's room. When his steps were a distant sound Hinata took her sister's hand. The pain seeing her sister laying in the bed helpless and blind was unbearable. Now that she got Hanabi, she had to think for the people back home. She didn't have her friends with her anymore. The thread had to end by her with yet another gift that she felt too small to be given.
Toneri felt contempt in her presence. He only got angry when she tried to reason with him. It was something Naruto had taught her. Words were a powerful weapon. If an enemy could be turned to a friend it worth the try. But she was failing. Maybe she wasn't whole hearted when she knew that the eyes that were looking at her belonged to her sister.
She understood that the man craved her love and attention. She pretended to give him kindness instead. She was good at pretending by now.
When she finally located the weapon Toneri's puppets caught up to her. There were many but she fought them of. When he himself surpised her she knew the defeat was inevitable. As he placed his hands in her chest, all she could think was how she once again was fallen of the expectations.
She could only observe in a lifeless body how Toneri took her hand gently and moved her for their wedding. She was dressed from the puppets like a doll for the man to play.
Naruto burst in to save her. She was forced to fight him. How low she would fall. A tear escaped her eye. Tears always found their way. Just like Naruto. He broke the orb that let Toneri manipulated her just before he dragged her into him. She attacked when she was in his arms. She paralyzed his hands. That would give them time.
She wasn't strong enough to destroy the weapon alone but she helped Naruto do it. The chakra that was given to her were crucial for this.
They fought Toneri and defeated him just in time. She took back her sister eyes but despite everything that he's done she only could see a lonely man. She hoped that one day he would take her offer.
On their way back Naruto left purposely behind but she run to catch up with the others.
They had seen fallen ruins on their way home and agony made their feet run faster.
Their return was met by a joyful atmosphere.
"Is everyone okay?" Shikamaru spoke for all of them.
"Yes. We have someone protecting our backs." Kakashi smiled and moved to the side reviling a stoic man looking at them.
"Sasuke-kun." Sakura run at him and then Naruto.
The others gave them their moment. It was a good reward having him back.

_____

Sakura hugged him not caring for his still body at her touch. It felt weird to be met by so many happy faces. He knew it would wore off. It was the heat of the moment that relaxed them, the frenzy joy of living that tore down their defences. Tomorrow he will be met with skepticism. It was fine. He didn't do it for the praise. It was his atonement and his gift to Naruto. The heroes of the mission approached him after a while. A small woman carrying what it appeared to be a child smiled at him.
"Thank you for protecting the village Uchiha-san."
He didn't bother to respond he just looked at her. He recognised her now. It was the Hyuga girl carrying her sister.
"Let's celebrate. What do you say? We deserve to celebrate." Naruto's loud voiced came in contrast after her low one.
She giggled.
"I'm sorry Naruto-kun but I have to take care of Hanabi. She needs rest."
"Of course you idiot. We all need rest." Sakura scolded him.
He whined but he eventually caved.
The small woman happily waved them goodbye her eyes beamed light.
Must be nice to live like that.

____

After a motherly caring Hanabi was at her feet. The thankful words of her father and the constant hugs of her sister were still on her mind. She couldn't understand why they were thanking her. She was the one at fault, causing them trouble. She was the one that Toneri wanted but instead her sister was hurt. Her family was in danger again because she existed. Hanabi could have died and the blood of another dear person would be at her hands. It seemed impossible to exist without hurting the ones she loved the most.
Winter had came already covering everything in pure white snow. She looked back and saw the stains her feet had left in disgust. Tomorrow she would celebrate her birthday. Hanabi had secretly planned a party inviting everyone. But someone was missing. And he would miss all the birthdays and parties they would come.
She had decided to take a walk despite the weather outside. She couldn't breathe inside the house. Her feet had drove her further away than what she initially intented. The few people that still wondered with a snow like this would be sleeping at their beds at this late hour. The wind blown her coat and against all logic she took it off. She had arrived at a halt. The platform stopped and a frozen lake extended after it. She wasn't done with her walk yet. The itching feeling didn't stop until she was exhausted. She jumped at the ice and took a step. The white surface would sparkle when the snow would stop falling and the moon would make its appearance. A crack at the center fascinated her. She bent her knees to touch it. The feeling on her hand was familiar. She traced it with her fingers reviling a tiny hole. She tried to see the water inside but the opening was too small. She sat down in the middle of the lake sighing. Then she punched the surface.

_____

He decided to stay for a while. The moon incident showed him that he needed to be close. If he wasn't there lifes would lost. The mission classified of highest rank were a child's play for him. His only match at this point was Naruto. But there were enemies lurking out there powerful enough to make him bleed. Toneri made that clear. He would take them the same as a boring mission. He didn't feel much anymore. His idiot friend was the closest at making feel a slight emotion reminding him that he was still human.
He always took the same root home. It was calming and overwhelmingly sad. It was one of those things that you hate yourself for doing but still want to. The lake was the place he and his mother sat at the late afternoons when his brother and father had business to attend. It was where his father had taught him how to use fire. The place where he cried after everyone was dead. There he had swore his revenge. And after his return, where he asked for forgiveness. Noone ever came here since it was at the outskirts of the village. But how sad it was that people missed this sight because they didn't want to make an extra effort.
Tiredness must have caught because he thought he saw someone out here. He observed better and there was a another human being walking down the lake. He stayed to watch him. He was probably crazy wondering around with such a blizzard in a place like this. He observed the unaware man like watching a play. He had a few minutes to kill his boredom. Then the scene unfolding before his eyes did what every good play do. It shocked him. He quickly throwed his kunai to the ground and rushed to the drowning man. With his purple eye he watched his kunai falling deeper inside the water until he wasn't able to locate it anymore. He looked back behind the wooden platform and saw the Hyuga girl shivering from cold.