chapter three

Payton's POV-

I had been in Seattle for 3 days now and I am going home tonight.

The whole time I have been here, I've been debating if I should get to know meredith or not.

I've seen her every day I've been here, but we haven't talked much. I would drop zola off in the morning then pick her up at night and take her back to my hotel.

I was currently sitting in the hospital car park on a bench, saying my goodbyes to zola before I went to drop her off.

"Auntie pay, is gonna miss you so much!" I say as I kissed her cheek.

She happily squealed and leaned against me, holding me in a tight loving hug.

"So so much." I say letting it drag off at the end.

We sat there for a while, playing perk a boo and just having cuddles.

"Let's go see mommy, shall we?" I asked finally standing up and grabbing her bag so we can go in.

As we stood outside of Meredith's door, I saw her staring at a picture of me and lexi the night before I had been kicked out at the age of 15.

I came out to my dad when I was eleven, he started to hit me and treated me different like I was a can on the street he could kick around.

One day when I was 15 I begged him to stop, and he just told me to get out and never show my face in that house again.

And I never did, i would meet my mom and lexi at a coffee shop every Wednesday and my mom would give me food for the week, all the things I would need.

She also payed for me to stay in this small apartment, it wasn't much and the bathroom was falling apart but it lasted until I was 16 and going off to medical school.

Anyway I walked in and put zola on the bed, before putting her bag on the floor.

"Where did you get that?" I asked her, looking at that stupid picture.

By now I normally just walk out and go sort Lexi's things, but today I sit down in the chair next to her bed.

"Lexie gave it to me after the like fifth time I asked about you." She replied and put the picture down.

We sat in silence for a couple moments but it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be.

"I'm going back to LA today." I said as she looked at me confused.

___________-
Meredith's POV-

"Oh, well I'll try to find someone to take zola then." I say, more sad that I didn't actually get to know her.

"Okay, I uh- I just wanted to give you this." She says before pulling out a necklace with a L carved onto it.

"It has some of lexi's ashes in, she always talked about them when we were teens how she wanted her sisters to have a bit of her to carry around and you are her sister too." She says before helping me put it on.

"Thank you." I say before pulling her into a hug, she didn't return it straight away but after a moment or two she hugged me back.

Once we both pulled away, she just stood there looking like she was having a internal debate.

"When is your flight?" I ask trying to nicely snap her out of whatever world she was in.

"Oh uh- I have to leave in 15 minutes to get to the airport. " She says before grabbing a piece of paper and then a pen.

"Heres my number, if you still want to get to know me." She says pushing the paper towards me.

"Are you sure? I mean I dont want to force you Payton." I say, worried that I may have pushed her into it.