Chapter Thirty Three

♡♡♡

All the young girls love Alice

Tender young Alice they say

♡♡♡

October 13th 1997

Alice's P.O.V.

Normally I couldn't tell these banquet halls a part. They all look the same. Round tables with white tablecloths, red napkins, and gold utensils. Glasses of ice water that are mostly untouched and melted because everyone already has an alcoholic beverage in their hand.

Harry stiffens the moment we walk through the door. The funny, sweet boy that he is around me melts away and is replaced with his cold, stern business facade.

"I'm going to go say hello to my family and get that out of the way. I'm sure my sisters are here, but if they were smart they got a nanny for the kids. Can you go get us drinks?"

He may have hated coming to these events growing up, but they were everything to me, for no reason other than seeing him.

A film reel of memories plays in my mind as I walk over to the bar. The best thing about these events (other than being with Harry of course), is the open bar.

A brunette has her back to me, facing the wall as I get closer. Something about her seems familiar but I can't see her face. Ignoring her for now, I place my order with the beautiful woman behind the bar.

"Can I get two Roy Rogers, please?"

"Virgin?"

My eyes go wide and my purse falls out of my hand. "I'm sorry?"

She gestures to the glasses on the bar. "The drinks. Did you want those with alcohol? Most people get them without. Actually most people don't order them, it's usually kids whose heads barely look over the bar top."

My face is on fire and I am praying that my makeup covers it.

"Yes, please." I wasn't going to drink tonight, but now I definitely would like to. Didn't need that reminder. Not that it matters right now.

"I guess some people never change." The woman on my right speaks and turns her body to the bar.

Oh lord forgive me, I try my best not to curse. But what the fuck is she doing here?

"Sarah. What are... um... what are you, what are you doing here?" Nice one, Alice. Real smooth.

"Celebrating Erin of course! The charity work she's done is so inspiring. I work for her at the bank. I have for years now. I mean, only interning while I'm in school, but hoping to get a full time position come graduation this spring. When I saw the invite I just had to clear my schedule." Her hair has gross chunky blonde highlights that don't blend out with her dark brown hair. Her face is pure evil. It doesn't matter that she's smiling with pearls around her neck. Beneath the surface is the worst human you'll ever meet.

"Really? And you thought that was a good idea because?"

Her smile stretches her face even more. "Why wouldn't it be? You know how close Harry and I used to be. I was hoping to run into him. He tends to keep his head down at the office."

The bartender places two dark glasses, illuminating with red syrup in front of me. I smile and pick up the two glasses. I move in closer to Sarah.

I lower my voice and try to make my higher pitched voice sound as intimidating as possible. "In case you've forgotten, Sarah. I know better than anyone just exactly how close you and Harry got. And you should be thankful that I am the one that found you first and not Mrs. Styles. I got you out of Harry's life once, I sacrificed years of my life to do it. I will be damned before I let you re enter it. Now you are going to leave and you are going to do so quietly. You are not going to say hello or goodbye to anyone. If you are not out of here in ten seconds, or I find out someone knows that you were here, you better hope there is another company within the state of New York that will be willing to hire you."