Chapter Forty Eight

Harry's POV

January 15th 1998

Flexing my fingers around the handle of my briefcase, I bounce on my toes feeling the elevator climb to the top floor. Top floor makes it seem luxurious. It's a five story building in the middle of a parking lot that has three other block-like buildings. This is where corporate souls come to die.

And I'm walking in willing, ready to sign away my soul.

It's ironic that the elevators at an elevator company resemble 18th century death traps. I have a vague memory of Alice rambling about how they're 'classic' and modeled after old ones from decades ago. It's adorable to listen to, but experiencing it is terrifying. Is that iron gate really necessary? They might as well be run by someone cranking a big wheel in the basement.

I hold my briefcase to my chest as more people come into the elevator. I only use it for work, but today the contents are so important, I feel like someone is going to steal it from me. As if someone would steal it on the off chance it might have rows and rows of money like in those mob movies.

From my peripheral, I see a woman with bright red hair step onto the elevator. My head snaps toward her and I feel my stomach drop. My anxiety dissipates as she turns her head and I realize that it's not Jaime. Obviously. Jaime doesn't leave Jersey. There is zero reason for her to be here.

Would she even recognize me? My hair is freshly cut and I look like I've grown five years in five months from the stress. Every time the wind blows the coldness hits like a reminder of how far away summer was. The piles of ice and snow in the parking lot feel like they'll never melt.

After an eternity, the elevator reaches my destination and I step off, making my way to the reception desk.

A man sits behind the circular desk talking on the phone. He looks to be younger than me but older than Alice. A wave of jealousy flows through me, but I quickly force it down. I have nothing to be jealous of. I'm too in my head for the meeting that is about to go down.

I give the young gentleman a head nod, not stopping to make small talk. Mr. van Baker is expecting me, there is no reason to put things off any longer.

I knock lightly before stepping in. "Thank you for squeezing me into your busy schedule," I acknowledge Alice's dad while closing the door behind me. He shuffles through papers, like he can't be bothered, even though I scheduled this meeting days ago. 

"It must be important. I don't see why my daughter couldn't pass along the message considering she spends more nights with you than she does at home."

I school my face as he releases this little piece of information. Alice has pulled back from spending time at my place since New Year's. She's only been over about once a week. So if she's not with me, or home, what has she been getting up to?

I file that away to ask her about later. My goal is to say my piece and get out before Alice arrives for work. Since my sisters went there, I know Alice's school gets out at 2pm. There's a chance I'll run into her, but I'm not ready to show all my cards yet.

"This meeting concerns Alice, which is why the message could not be simply passed along. In fact, she has no idea that I'm here."

"You better cut to the chase, then. She'll be here within the hour. Is this some grand romantic gesture where you tell me that you're in love with my daughter and want my permission to date her? Because I haven't made up my mind yet."

Not having his approval is a blow to the ego, even if that is not what I'm here for. If I wasn't so stressed, I might laugh at the idea of asking his permission. Alice always wants to please her father, but is desperate to be seen as her own person. Asking for her father's permission would piss her off, and I've done enough of that lately.