Chapter Thirty Nine*

☼☼☼

They said we could find safe haven

But I think it's wherever we are

You know I'll be patient despite our racing hearts

☼☼☼

Jaime's P.O.V.

July 24th 1997

The sun beat down on our shoulders. The metal grooves of the bleachers dug into the skin of my exposed thighs. I'm on the edge of my seat as the next batter steps up to the base. A ball is thrown in what feels like slow motion. The bat connects with the bat and and and .... one of the boys in the outfield catches it. The batter is in near tears as this marks their final out of the inning.

Harry leans over and whispers to me, trying not to be overheard by the aggressive 'fans' around us. "You know, of all of the "non tourist" things I expected us to do, an eight year old baseball game wasn't on the list."

"Why not? It's the great American pastime. Plus you can now say that you've eaten a cracker jack. I think you're winning the game."

"Really? Parents getting drunk before 10am and verbally abusing your kid over a sport is the great American pastime?" His eyes point out all the moms that are discreetly pouring wine in what look like travel coffee cups. They're not slick, so I don't know why they even try to hide it. At this point, it's part of the culture.

Harry sits to my right while Jess is standing to my left. She's cheering and clapping and telling the little boy he'll "get them next time!" She's really into this game considering she doesn't know any of the players.

I lean over to whisper to Harry. "Yes. Exactly. And besides, you know why we're really here." I gesture toward Jess with my eyes. Harry follows my eyeline. He looks from Jess over to Mari who is standing in front of the dug out. "You're the one that encouraged her to step out of her comfort zone. This is on you."

Harry had been encouraging Jess to reach out more to Mari and put herself out there. Mari, the fan girl of Jess's band, and the girl Jess can't seem to lock down. For some reason Mari can't come to the bar, so Jess is here to hang out with her. Whenever Jess mentions hanging out with Mari somewhere that isn't one of Jess's gigs, Mari tends to clam up and gives ridiculous excuses.

Mari coaches the town's eight year old boys baseball team, which is why we're here today. She volunteered when her younger cousin started playing two years ago and has stuck with the team since then. It's adorable really.

Jess has been begging us to come with so she doesn't look "weird" or "out of place". Did I mention she's jumping and cheering now? Jess's enthusiasm is one of the best things about her. Other people might not have the same perception, but I don't give a fuck what people think, and if they have something to say about my best friend, they better hope I don't hear it. But if us being here helps, Harry and I can sacrifice one of our mornings to hang out with her. It's actually kinda fun watching their little legs wiggle.

Although, I'm about thirty seconds from fist fighting a parent. Do these people really think that yelling at their kid is going to do anything for their performance? They're literally eight, no wonder half of them are on the verge of tears.

Mari looks over at our section, and I see the briefest smile on her face when her eyes meet Jess. The tiniest smile and I saw so much hurt. I don't know Mari's story, but she has such sadness about her. For someone who talks a lot, Jess hasn't said much. I mean she gives us an update any time Mari so much as breathes in her direction, but it's a lot of surface level stuff.