Prologue

Kieran

"You need to be fuckin' careful," I shout at Vito, smacking his shoulder in disbelief. "You're going to get us thrown out of this pitiful town."

"Maybe if they didn't starve me I'd be calmer," Vito grits his teeth and slams the car door shut.

We had been friends for decades. Vito was older than me, much angrier than me. I tried, but I could never work out how to keep him at bay. He hated the rules that kept us from feeding. 

We are both silent when pulling out of the car park. Vito had his fist firm around the steering wheel. He was seething. Humans sure knew how to gaslight someone into seeing red.

Vito races his car onto the highway, parking it on the side of the road a few miles outside of the town. He was hungry and the only way we could satisfy ourselves was from animals. 

I watch as the mad man swings his door open and enters the treeline. His back tenses and he follows the sounds of crunching leaves and whimpers of animals scurrying away. 

Vampires have very good hearing. We both hear the mewl of a dog chasing something. It's small paws were pattering against the twigs and stomping heavily on the ground. 

Vito turns and looks at me. He didn't want a big chase. 

My friend steps slowly and towards the thumping of a tail. We both see the small dog hopping from leaf to leaf as they blow in the wind. Vito rolls his eyes and runs his fingers down his face. 

"Hardly a snack," Vito gives me a bland look and steps out from behind the tree. 

The dog nervously pounces in the air, it was surprised. I watch as its head immediately goes towards the big, tattooed man. 

"Come here, puppy," Vito mutters, crouching down on one knee and holding out his hand. 

The dog looks around and turns its head. Big paws, big floppy ears, and thick fur. It can't be...

 "Vito, I think that's a fuckin' were," I jutt my head forward and slowly watch as it's hair slowly pricks up on it's back.

"Blood is blood to me," he clicks his fingers and taps the ground. 

The werewolf was obviously alone. No doubt a pup can defend itself against us.

Vito slumps to the ground and calls out for the animal. It's head tilts to the side and it's tail curls between it's legs. 

"It's a kid, we can't," I try to take my morals into account. "We can find something more filling."

Vito takes a quick glance at me before looking at the were. I watch as the kid lowers it's head and scuttles towards us. 

I crouch in front of Vito and pick up the puppy. Vito's eyes are red and hungry. The werewolf is feeble and very cold. 

"She's a little girl," I mention, holding my jumper around her to try and warm her up. 

I watch as my friend shakes his head and runs quickly to the next sound of a branch breaking. 

I try and cuddle her as much as possible but her paws slip in and out of my arms as she moves. I carry her towards the car and sit her in the back seat. 

"Can you shift?" I ask, shuffling my coat off my arms and laying it beside her. I watch as her head spins around and her body nestles into the warmth. 

"I guess we will have to wait and see," I gently close the door, sitting in the front seat and waiting for Vito to come back and calm the fuck down. 

hi,

the prologue is short. chapters should *hopefully* be longer.