Chapter XXIII: Making Amends

The morning light shone brightly upon the reddish-orange fur of the patient, giving soothing warmth to the recipient. The patient slowly but surely blinked open his eyes as he stretched his arms luxuriously, his head clear and his muscles strong. As he looked around the room, he recognized the place as an oddly familiar-looking hospital room (So you placed me in the same room I resided at back in Chapter XII, Nick thought to himself, Thanks Narrator). As he looked out the window, Nicholas was surprised to see it was morning. I must have been out for hours. Nick thought to himself, remembering it was in the afternoon that the events at the warehouse took place. Hearing the door open from the opposite direction of the window, Nick saw an all too familiar nurse come through the door, a pig nurse by the name of Olivia. "Good to see you're awake, Officer Wilde." the pig told him sweetly, her smile being a very welcoming sight indeed. "I assume I'm in the hospital?" Nick guessed, considering Olivia was here and the look of the room around him. "Indeed, sir." Olivia replied. "Fortunately for you, a visitor is desperate to come and see you, and I do not wish to delay her any longer." Seeing her leave the room, Nicholas waited in anticipation for the visitor to enter.

          Even though he did not see the visitor's face, Nicholas watched as the door to his room was open

Even though he did not see the visitor's face, Nicholas watched as the door to his room was open. Only a few moments more passed before the visitor officially made her appearance. His heart began to warm rapidly as he saw Judy make her way into the room. She looks perfectly healthy too, just as I had hoped. Nick thought to himself, knowing that the one reason he had dove off the waterfall with Sinon was to make sure Judy did not get hurt. The moment Judy's eyes turned to him, he saw tears of joy immediately forming in her eyes and her ears (being droopy at first) standing straight and erect. He did not bother trying to stop her when she immediately picked up the pace and leaped onto his lap, wrapping her arms as tightly around him as she could. "I thought I lost you." Judy told him, her eyes closed as she kept gripping him tightly. "Carrots, you will never lose me." Nick told her affectionately, his words barely a whisper. Grabbing him by the muzzle and pulling his face close to hers, Nick heard Judy tell him, "Don't you dare pull off a stunt like that again, you hear me? I was barely in danger during that whole situation! There was no need for a risk like that!" Even though her tone was definitely an angry one, Nick knew that she really wasn't angry that he had saved her life, but rather was angry that he worried her so much by doing what he did. "Unfortunately, I can't promise you that, Carrots. Even if there were 10 other foxes attacking you, I would still leap in to protect you and make sure you got out of the situation safely. Even so, I pray that you never have to do the same for me." Nick replied, hoping that there would never be a situation where she would risk her life to save him. "Unfortunately Nick, I can't promise you that either. If those 10 foxes wanted to attack you while you were helpless, I too would leap in to protect you and make sure they would not touch a hair on your pelt." Judy told him back, her voice filled with affection and sincerity. "We'll never agree on this, will we?" Nick asked her, knowing fully what her answer would be. "Will we ever agree on this? No, no we won't." Judy answered him, her eyes staring deeply into his.