Chapter Twenty Two

So tell me how does it feel, how does it feel to be like you?
I think your mouth should be quiet 'cause it never tells the truth

--With Ears To See And Eyes To Hear; Sleeping With Sirens

MARGO's POV

I slowly flutter my eyelids open and I see a white ceiling. I look around and recognise the room I am in. I'm in the infirmary; how I ended up here, I'm not quite sure. The door slowly opens and Kathy's mother strolls in, a clipboard in hand.

"How are you feeling, Margo?" she asks. "Good." I say. "My head hurts a little, but nothing I couldn't handle. Why am I here? What happened?"

"You've had a really long and draining day yesterday. You fainted." She answers and then I remember what happened yesterday.

"Jemcer's original mate is back."

original.

mate.

original mate.

I remember hearing those words as they kept on repeating over and over in my head until everything went black. My eyes widen as I sit up in bed. "Where's Jemcer?" I ask, my heart beating rapidly in my chest. She hesitates before saying "He's in the packhouse."

Why isn't he here? I fainted, for goodness sake, he should be here. I pull the blanket aside and get off the bed. "Wait, you still need to rest." She tries to make me lie down again but I shake my head no.

"I'm fine." I walk towards the pack house and when I open the door, I am greeted by Jourdan, Kathy and Maya. "Margo! You're awake!" Kathy exclaims before pulling me in for a tight, warm hug. Maya and Jourdan also give me hugs and I feel quite better already.

"Where's Jemcer?" I ask. Again, they seem to hesitate before answering. "He's in the kitchen." Maya answers and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "He's cooking; believe it or not." Jourdan says and I'm sure shock is evident on my face.

Jemcer? As in Jemcerson Ace? Cooking?

I walk towards the kitchen with a smile on my face excited to see my mate in action. I cross the threshold and my smile is wiped off my face as I see the sight before me.

Jemcer is wearing an apron, holding a plate with a stack of pancakes in one hand, and carrying a spatula with the other. He's wearing a gorgeous smile on his face as he places the plate on the table in a grand "restaurant waiter" kind of way and he's rewarded with a huge smile and thank you from Carla.

I feel tears starting to well up and I grit my teeth, forcing the tears back. "Jemcer." I greet, with a forced smile on my face. "Margo! You're awake!" He smiles as I walk towards him. I put my arms around his neck and plant a full on kiss on his lips.

I pull back, smiling but my smile falters when I see his eyes dart sidewards towards Carla's direction. I take a deep breath and force a smile again before sitting on a chair, right across Carla. "Hey, I don't think we've met." I smile at her and she smiles back, although I can tell that its forced.

"I'm Margo. Luna of the Aces, and you are?" She grits her teeth before smiling sweetly "I'm Carla. Jemcer's mate." I feel a stab of pain in my chest. "Well, I'm-" I'm cut off by Jemcer clearing his throat and rubbing the back of his neck.

"Those pancakes look good, Jem. Can I have some?" I ask him. I can't believe I'm actually doing this, that I'm actually in this position. Trying to get his attention from the woman eating across the table.