Part 23

"Did you think of what you want to do yet?" As we came home, an idea struck me as I looked at the target he was practicing with a few days ago. Pointing at it, I said "Teach me that". He looked over at it before rubbing the back of his neck. "Are you sure you want to learn archery? It's pretty difficult to do and I don't want your fingers hurting from the rough wood."

With a determined face, I went inside to get his bow and arrows. I also want to learn the things he loves to do. It shouldn't be too hard since Hwang Minah used to do that as well.

I made my way over to Yohan while he stared at my fire lit eyes filled with ambition. Seeing how I wouldn't give up, he softly sighed "Okay, our first lesson starts now"

About two hours passed by and I regretted my bold decision. The arrow kept drifting off the bow when I placed it in position. Then when I tried to aim and shoot, it scraped my fingers along the way. The target was totally forgotten as my only goal was to actually be able to shoot it correctly.

Yohan tried to teach me how to position it but I kept making the same mistakes and he was slowly starting to get ticked off. I could sense his bad mood as he kept silent towards the end. I'm glad he wasn't yelling at me though like how he does with his men in the training grounds. Sighing in defeat, I placed everything down before glancing over at Yohan.

"It's okay, it takes a lot of practice to become good at archery. But it also needs talent to be able to do well" I know he didn't mean much when he spoke about talent, but it somehow made me feel angry. It's as if he was telling me I have no talent in this so I should give up. In a way, I felt belittled

Turning away from him, I went back in our residence in an attempt to cool down. I know I was being childish, but I really wanted to do well today, and show him that, I too, can be as talented as his old lover.

Dinner was served and I ate quietly, earning a few glances from Yohan. "Is something the matter?" He placed his chopsticks down and I stopped eating before shaking my head no. He looked unconvinced but kept quiet as we finished the rest of our meal.

Soon it was time for bed, and Areum was busy brushing my hair. I can tell she also sensed that something was wrong today since the whole room was quiet, Yohan was looking over an important scroll and I kept my gaze down in front of the mirror.

"You can leave now" Hearing his voice, Areum put the brush down before taking her leave immediately. Playing with the ring on my finger, a few minutes passed before I heard him roll the scroll up.
The brush beside me got picked up and he slowly started to brush my hair, as I sat there looking at the reflection of the mirror.

"Can you tell me why you are upset with me? Did I do or say something wrong?" I felt more relaxed once he ran his hand through my hair, softly playing with it.

"I'm more mad at myself, you don't have to worry about it, I'll be fine after a bit" Taking the brush from his hand, I placed it down on the table with a soft thud. But before I could get up from the chair, he turned me around so that I was facing him directly.

"If it's because of the earlier events, then don't be upset about it. If you want, I'll teach you until you become good at it" looking into his eyes, I could see the sincerity in them which made me feel even more embarrassed of my childish self.

"I-I can't seem to do any of the things that you take interest in. I can't ride a horse on my own without feeling sick after a while. I can't shoot arrows or handle a sword. I also can't-"

"Shh" "Instead of focusing on the things that you can't do, what about telling me about all the things that you can do" I thought about it for a moment, before shyly looking at him again.

"I can cook.."

"very delicious food"

"I can do embroidery"

"That jasmine handkerchief you gave me was beautiful"

"I can paint.."

"I'd love to see you painting something for me one day. Look, there's so many things that you are capable of doing and many more to come. So what if you aren't able to do the things I like. You can ride the horse with me and accompany me as I work on my archery and sword matches. I promised you that I would protect you, so don't force yourself to do the things you don't want"

"I think I'm going to cry" I choked up on my words hearing him appreciate and embracing me as who I am as a person.

"Oh no, I was intending to make you smile, not cry. Let's also add one thing to the list, you're also good at being a crybaby"

Smiling at that, I wiped away the tears and he unexpectedly pulled me in for a hug.

I think I'm going to add something to his list as well. He's good at comforting others...and he gives the best hugs