Part 15

The doors opened and I left their room. Feeling a presence behind me, I immediately knew the General had taken his leave as well. If I had known the way back to my guest room, I wouldn't have pathetically stopped and waited for him to lead the way.

"So you're leaving today?" It's unusual how he's the one initiating the conversations now. It was usually the other way around.

"Yes, I'm leaving tonight. I heard in Hyerin's letters that the people who tried to harm his highness got caught. Did you catch them in the act?"

"Yes, there was many people involved, and they either got prisoned or killed based on the degree of their crime. So you don't need to worry anymore"

"I never said I was worried" mumbling, I stayed quiet until we got to my room.

"So this is where we say our farewells, for real now?" Why are we always saying bye to one another..

"Something tells me that this won't be the last time we see each other, Lady Goeun" Before I could ask him why, he was already on his way out of here.

-------

3 weeks passed by and my hopeless romantic self still questioned his words. I spent most of my days painting to improve my skills in art or going for tea in Nari's place.

As I finished my last drawing, my knees were practically begging me to get up and stretch around.

Outside was drizzling lightly, and the sounds of raindrops hitting the roof was very pleasant to hear. I opened my drawer and took out the umbrella brother had personally gotten made for me. It was made out of bamboo and white Hanji paper filled with blue flower designs.

Slipping outside without getting caught by mother or the maids, I felt accomplished as I took a stroll peacefully. The rain cooled down the weather significantly and the sun was hidden behind all the clouds today.

I prepared myself over these few weeks trying to think of a believable story on why I fell out of love with the general. After I drop this news to them, they will certainly ship me off to Lady Byeols house without hesitating.

As I walked down the road, I realized I had gone too far out seeing Lady Byeol's house from a distance. At the entrance, I saw two figures very close to one another, and they were... kissing?!

Closing my innocent eyes, I abruptly turned around, before fastening my steps. Holding the umbrella tightly, I was leaving until a voice stopped me in my tracks.

"HEY! You there!" Realizing that Lady Byeol's son was calling out to me, I mentally facepalmed myself. What was his name again? Racking my brain, I think I heard them say it was Tae Ho.

I turned around to see that the secret woman had left and he was standing there with a furious expression on his face. What did I do? You're the one who got caught. We made eye contact and he strode over realizing who I was.

"What brings you here, my lady? Have you changed your mind about the marriage?" His smirk obvious, he probably thought I went to visit him. "I was taking a nice walk until I saw two people eating each other's faces out."

"I wonder how your mother would act knowing that you've been committing adultery before marriage.. I know for a fact that she would be unhappy with that" I tried to walk away but he kept a tight hold of my arms. My umbrella flew out of my hands and onto the ground, nothing on my head to protect me from the rain now.

"You wouldn't dare" his gaze darkened as he brought his lips dangerously close to my ear. "If we ever do tie the knot, I will make sure to embarrass you and your ridiculously high pride as I bring in many concubines. Your parents love me and my family so don't try acting all tough, Goeunssi, you are on the weaker end."

I struggled against his grip not liking how close he was to me. "Get away from me, you nasty brute. I already said that I have a man in my life, what is wrong with you?!"

"Where is he now? I don't see your hair up indicating that you're taken or a ring on that finger." Tears brimmed in my eyes as I struggled to fight him off. He was starting to scare me and I regretted not taking Areum with me.

"I'd rather stay single forever than build my reputation around you all my life" bitterly speaking, I made sure that he knew I resented him.

Just as I was about to kick his legs, the sound of thundering hooves were heard as a dark brown horse galloped its way towards us. Is that one of our guards? Did they realize that I was gone already?

My heart that was beating fast out of fear was suddenly racing recognizing the man on that horse. As he got off, the grip that Tae ho had on me loosened and I immediately pushed him away from me. Grabbing my umbrella from the ground, I ran over to Yohan's side, knowing that I would always be safe with him.

He analyzed me before noticing my wet clothes and hair. Taking his cloak off, he wrapped me up while I stared at him not believing he was here again. "Excuse me for my actions" Suddenly picking me up by the waist, he mounted me on the horse gently. When I didn't feel the ground under my feet anymore, I held onto his shoulders in fear of falling down.

I've never sat on a horse, or even ridden one in my life, so it was weird being so high up from the ground. I stood as still as a statue waiting for Yohan's instructions.

"Don't even come close to touching her again" I watched as he and Taeho looked at one another with distaste but all I wanted to do was go home and take a warm bath.

"And who are you to her?" My ears perked up as Taeho gritted his teeth in annoyance.

The rain started to pour now and I pulled up my umbrella again, protecting both myself and Yohan's horse.

"Her future husband, and who are you, you sick bastard"