Chapter seventeen

I found him playing video games alone and I asked him if he wanted to come. He said okay and turned it off. We took either's hands and closed our eyes. We opened them to see mom in the kitchen making dinner. My two youngest brother and sister in highchairs and Scarlett and Nataly come running in. Elle was on college and Nataly was two years older than Scarlett. All the boys moved out and started their lives.

"Hey, look Noah's actually behaving today." Andy said. I nodded. It hit me then that I should have been a part of this. Mom was supposed to call me as she's cooking dinner like she is now with Ash. I was supposed to be a part of this family. Right now, I'm supposed to be with mine with Oliver. But I'm not. I'm still sixteen years old and dead. I am not living the life I was supposed to. Damon took all of that.

"Lynn, no!" I heard mom yell which snapped me out of my thoughts. "Crap, Ashley I have to go." She said hanging up the phone. Lynn was two and she just made a mess of her dinner. She was covered in toddler chili and it was all over the place. Mom ran over and Scarlett helped her clean up the baby. I smiled as watched this. It was so cute. Mom was meant for this. She was always meant to have a family, but so was I. Mom made it look so easy. She just did it. But I don't think it's fair that she had to lose two kids on top of everyrthing she had going on.

Afrer my death, mom and dad got closer but not close enough to get back together. She met my stepfather through a friend she met at a chatroom for parents who have lost children. She started talking to him and they got married and had two kids. John was so nice and he helped her through so much after I died.

Hey, let's go see dad." Andy said. I nodded and he took my hand. Next thing I knew we were in my dad's living room. I smiled as my youngest brother, Andrew ran through the living room, his mother, my stepmother, Chloe chacing him. Andrew was two as well and ran through the house all the time. He was a handful. Abbey, she is eight. Dad married Chloe about a year after meeting her and after which she found out she was pregnant. 

"Mom, can Libby sleep over?" She asked.

"It's a school night." Chloe said picking Andrew up.

"Her mom's going out to help her sister and her dad's out of town. She's alone." Abbey answered. 

"Mom never would have fallen for that." I told Andy. He laughed as watched Chloe. She shifted Andrew to her other hip.

"I want  to talk to her mother first." She said.

"There it is." Andy said. I smiled as we walked into the dinning room. Dad was looking at some papers that when I walked over were bills. Bills that had to do with me.

"I can't believe we are still paying for Emmalynn's funeral." He said. What could they possibly be paying for Emmalynn's funeral. This is impossible." He said. Chloe put Andrew in his highchair and kissed her husband on the top of the head.

"That's why you get life insurence." She said walking into the kitchen. Chloe was okay but dad could have done better. I didn't like how she acted to us. Andy and I and the others. Like her kids matter more than his other kids.

"How was I supposed to know I was going to need life insurence on my sixteen year old daughter?" He asked. She came back out with food in her hands.

"Both the kids are insured. Abbey dinner!" She said. Abbey came running in. "I did  it when they were a month old." She said. Dad nodded.

"Hey, we have Scarlett and Nataly this weekend. Just letting you know." He said. Abbey dropped her head. She didn't like her sisters. I think her mother was feeding her things about us. I just looked at her. If I were alive, I would put that child in her place. Or I would just tell my dad.

"Alright, I want to go see Oliver." I said. Andy nodded but didn't take my hand. I turned and saw that he wasn't going to come. "Wait, can you come this time?" I asked quickly. He looked confused but nodded. I turned to face my father and his family. Just as we go, Andrew points in our direction. He always saw us. He just has the gift as Nathan told me once. I closed my eyes. When I opened them, I was standing at my grave. Looking at Oliver wipe tears from his eyes.