Chapter Twenty-Six - Doritos Guy

Tell us about your life. Do I just speak into this? Oh, it's recording. Oops. Uhh... hello. My name is Brad King. I'm an estate agent. I work in London, but I live in a village called Coxbury. It can be a little inconvenient at times, with the commute and all that, but it's usually all right as two of my colleagues live in Coxbury too, and I sit with them on the train. I live with my wife, Maggie, in the centre of the village. She stays at home, looking after the house and doing whatever housewives do during the day, while I'm out working. She's an awful gossip, too. My colleague, Thomas (I commute with him as well as John), his wife loves gossip too, and they meet up every day to discuss who bought wholemeal bread last Saturday and who didn't mow their lawn yesterday and whatever those women talk about. Oh well. As long as she's happy.

What was your occupation before you started commuting? I've commuted all my life, really. I commuted to school ever since I was thirteen, then after university I settled down with Maggie and found the estate agent job. I've been working there for thirty solid years and I've never had any problems.

Why are you based in London? Probably Thomas and John gave the exact same answer, but it's because there are more things to do in London. More clients to look after, more places to sell, more details to log and graph and do heaven knows what with. It's exciting and busy and the only place to be if you want to make money, real money.

Why don't you just move to London? Coxbury is like a welcome break from all the tension in London. Whenever I'm in the capital my heart just starts thudding. Anything can happen. Anyone can turn up. It's pretty stressful, but I love it. The feeling that you can do anything, and nobody will care. Everyone's out for themselves in London. I like Coxbury, but not as a full-time thing. People care about you in Coxbury. They also know all of your business. It can seem a bit cramped at times. You can't have a secret without everyone knowing - especially if you've got Maggie King as a wife!

Lastly, tell us an interesting fact about you, or your family. My father owns a Doritos factory. Yes, it's sad, but it's the only remotely interesting fact I can think of right now. He sends these massive crates every weekend, and we have no storage space any more, but we agree it would be too rude to tell him not to send them. It's getting to be quite a struggle, as our whole attic and garage is filled up with nachos. We're trying to eat them all, but he's sending them faster than we're eating them. Maggie always sends me off to work with huge bowlfuls of Doritos. She says I'll get sick of them at some point, but that point hasn't come yet, and for now I'm happy to eat as many as she can cram into my briefcase.

Thank you for your time. That's all right.