Chapter Eleven - Poor Great-Aunt Tilly

I pull the blankets over my head and burrow deeper into the little fort I've made here. It's quite comfortable, and fairly safe. There's no reason why I can't spend the rest of my life here.

However, there is one predator prowling around - Jamie.

"Maya! What the hell are you doing? Your train leaves in five minutes!"

The covers are quite rudely pulled from my grasp, and I'm treated with a look of utter disdain from Jamie. "Are you seriously hoping to spend the day here?"

"Yes," I say quite firmly. "I've decided to become nocturnal. Now please leave me alone so I can go back to sleep. It was quite cosy in here before you came along."

He shakes his head. "Honestly, Maya. You're not thinking straight. How much sleep did you get last night?"

I gesture at the bed. "This is it so far."

He sighs. "Oh, Maya. Look, go back to sleep now, and I'll call in to Miranda French. Say someone's died, or something."

"She'll still expect me to come in, the cow," I say ruefully, and bury myself under the duvet.

"Well, it's that, or explaining to her that you've decided to turn into a bat."

I sit up and stare at him in horror. "She'll come and knock the house down!" I protest. "She won't let me live!"

"Exactly," says Jamie, and I sigh, and agree.

Ten minutes later, he comes back, looking quite shaken up. "She agreed to let you stay here. To mourn Great-Aunt Tilly."

"Poor Tilly," I mutter, "Then again, she's probably not poor, as she never had to deal with anyone quite like Miranda French."

"There's probably a Miranda French in everyone's life," Jamie says wisely, and leaves the room, shutting off the lights as he goes.