Forty-One - Queen Maya

At home, I'm treated like a queen.

We drop Fat Kid and Tired Mum off at their house, then Jamie drives me home. I go straight to bed (ahh, bed. So warm and comforting. I will never take you for granted again), and he makes my favourite meal, beef stroganoff, and brings it to my room.

I eat it like I've been starved for weeks, then fall asleep reading Mansfield Park. Ahh... this is the life.

I do know, somewhere in the back of my mind, that I will have to go to work someday. But for now, I'm having a wonderful time living in my bed.

I wake up at half past six (grr. Stupid commute giving me a habit of waking up early), and Jamie brings me breakfast (pancakes with maple syrup). Then I surf the internet till lunchtime (spaghetti bolognaise)... then it's time.

Time for The Talk.

Time for the Maya You Have To Go Back To Work At Some Point Talk.

Darn it.

I drag myself out of bed reluctantly when Jamie calls me, and slope down the stairs. He's sitting in the living room waiting. I take the seat opposite him and wait.

"Maya... you have to go back to work at some point, you know."

Told you so.

"Yes, but that some point isn't today!" I argue. "I've been internally damaged!"

He snorts. "Maya, if you hate the job so much, why don't you just quit?"

"I don't hate it," I protest. "I just... need a break, that's all." 

"One more day," he says seriously, "then you're going back to work." 

"What if I say I've developed a phobia of trains?" I try. 

"What if I say you are a total liar?" 

I huff my way back to bed.