Chapter Eighteen - Batman

Tell us about your life. I used to live in London, but then this great job opportunity for my wife came up near Coxbury. My parents lived in Coxbury for thirty years or something, and I was born there, so it's always been quite close to my heart. When my wife, Eleanor, got a job there, I was all for it. Now my daughter, Matilda, and my son, Jamie, both go to Coxbury Primary. It's cheap, and they seem to learn a lot of stuff, so it'll do. I commute every day with two of my colleagues. I'm an estate agent, and they're both pretty nice. John always brings some kind of food, usually cookies. I have no idea why, but it's a nice way to start the day, especially when you have to wake up at half past six.

What was your occupation before you started commuting? As I said, I've always worked in London. Even when we moved, I didn't leave my job there. I've got a pretty good income coming in. I'll admit that I did look for jobs nearer Coxbury, but nothing really caught my eye - I'm so used to my job in London that I can't imagine doing anything else. I get home around six, so I have plenty of time to be with Eleanor, Jamie and Matilda.

Why are you based in London? There are a lot more houses in London. It's a lot easier for an estate agent! If I was an agent in Coxbury, we'd probably sell about one house a year. But in London, we're selling them right and left every day. The capital is the place to be based, and Eleanor agrees. So when we moved, I kept my job, and we're doing fine.

Why don't you just move to London? Because we're comfortable in Coxbury. Matilda and Jamie like their school. They both get good marks, both get good parts in every play or concert. Eleanor has a good job, has a steady income coming in, and I'm fine with doing a commute every day. As long as my family are happy, I'm happy too.

Lastly, tell us an interesting fact about you, or your family. Eleanor lives for gossip. Every day, I come home, and she pounces on me, telling me about Mrs Jones's addiction to jam, or Mr King's shed full of lawn cuttings. Sometimes I think she doesn't actually concentrate at work at all - just looks out of the window, talks to friends, and emails around. It's almost unhealthy. Matilda seems to have inherited it too. The first thing she tells me at school is 'Katie stole Timmy's rubber today under the desk. She thought nobody saw, but I did' or 'Alicia took loads of chips today and didn't leave any for anybody else', even before she tells me about how the day went.

Thank you for your time. No, thank you.