Chapter Twenty-Two - Homer Simpson

Tell us about your life. There isn't much to say, really. I live in a flat in London. Every afternoon I commute to Coxbury Station, then I take the bus to Hartford Green, which is about four miles away from Coxbury itself. I work the night shift at the 24-hour McDonald's, then I take the bus back to the station. I catch the seven a.m. train back to London, and sleep for the day. It's a routine. Train. Bus. Work. Bus. Train. Sleep. Train. Bus. Work. Bus. Train... it's a neverending cycle that I get so sick of. I think I'm the only person in Carriage C who commutes to Coxbury and back to London. 

What was your occupation before you started commuting? I worked the night shift in a McDonald's near the flat. Obviously. But then it closed because the Greenway next door wanted to expand. It paid McDonald's a hundred thousand pounds and I was on my way. I found a job in Hartford Green and there I was. Working the same night shift at the same company. Just a different venue.

Why are you based in Hartford? Because I couldn't find any other work. I need some time away from London. All the bright lights, the salespeople, the screaming and shouting and crying and arguments and bustle and hustle of the capital. You expect me to sleep there during the day? I'm not working durning the night there too. Also, it was the only place that would give me a night shift. I've been working the night shift ever since I got out of uni. I'm like a bat. What's the word? I'm nocturnal. That's why I usually sleep on the train. 

Why don't you just move to Hartford? Are you kidding me? Hartford's the worst place I ever saw. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned since the Stone Age. Cans in the gutter, smashed-up houses, broken glass all over the streets... at least people look after London. A bit, anyway. 

Lastly, tell us an interesting fact about you, or your family. I get free burgers from McDonald's. That's why I'm always eating them on the train. And no, you don't get free food just because you work there - the manager arrives at six a.m. when I've still got half an hour to go, and I guess he feels sorry for me, because he always gives me some chips, or a ham or cheeseburger. I pack it in my bag for the journey. Oh, and my family? I don't have one. I was in a foster home until I was sixteen. So don't go asking about them. 

Thank you for your time. This better be worth it. I could be sleeping right now.