Seven

The next weeks were a flurry of wedding planning, your mother, aunts, and cousins in and out of the Yoo's home on a daily basis. Other afternoons everyone went to shops, Seungho and his mother tagging along. You felt guilty at times for all the money your parents were spending, so you tried to lessen it by making cheaper choices.

"Do you really want to go with salmon instead of lobster sweetheart? Your cousin Yenha's wedding was so memorable with Chef Han's lobster and artichokes." Your mother frowned setting down a menu, glancing up at you.

"I don't like lobster anyway, what do you think about being traditional and serving sikhye and bulgogi?" Seungho squeezed your hand, smiling at you from across the table.

Somehow in the last two weeks he'd started pretending to like you, spending time with you, shadowing you. In front of your family he was doting and attentive, and you hadn't known why. Was this just an acting exercise for him?

One evening when he walked you to your room after dinner you asked him, trying to keep your tone neutral.

"What's with the interest in me and this wedding suddenly?"

You paused in front of your door looking at him. He was attractive, talented, which you knew from his movies and shows, but also detached. You watched his dark eyes taking you in, and you wondered if he was thinking up a lie.

"We're going to have to get along for the rest of our lives, wouldn't you prefer a marriage with kindness than contempt?" Seungho shrugged and opened your door, his arm brushing your side as he reached around you.

"Did you want this match?" You couldn't help but ask, was it just his father or had the son been involved in the politics?

"I do what I'm told." He leaned down and kissed your cheek gently then left without another word. Why had that moment made you feel so warm?

"What do you think Eomma? A nod to classic wedding tradition?" Seungho smiled turning bright eyes to his mother, you got the feeling he had genuine softness when it came to her.

"Oh that could be lovely, maybe we could serve them in red and blue plates?"

"I like the idea, the families eat fancy westernized meals all of the time, we rarely celebrate traditional values anymore." You turned doe eyes to your mother, feeding your guests japchae would be infinitely cheaper.

"Anything that makes the two of you happy." Your mother smiled, glancing at Seungho's hand still on yours. Did she believe you could really be falling for each other?

She was smart, there was no way she would buy it as authentic, but she was also hopeful. It was possible she thought you were both trying to please your parents.

You wondered if she'd ever fallen for your father? You tried to recall them holding hands, sharing a kiss, or looking at each other intimately and you couldn't. A kiss on the forehead or cheek was all you could think of, but you'd just thought they were private.

"I'm not sure the red and blue plates will match the yellow roses Minjissi."

"Cream and green platters would be lovely then." You both watched as your mothers continued talking about place settings, one of your cousins pulling up a website to show the caterer's options.

"Do you think it would be alright if I stole my bride for the evening? I would like to take her to dinner." Seungho had stood, looking at your mother with a sincere smile.

She hesitated, and you knew she was trying to decide if he was trust worthy. Was he a loyal son or was he upset with his own future and planning ill intentions with her only daughter?