Chapter One: Good Morning

The sun rises above the thick forest surrounding Stellaluna territory. In the last shadow of the night, perched on top of a hard cool boulder I am watching the last day of my childhood dawn over me. More than likely, this is the last time I will need to sneak from my fathers house; from here on, I will be able to go where I please, when I please. The only person who I will answer to are the pack leaders: my father Rexidus, his Beta Thomas, the Gamma Mathias, and my brother Theodus who is to be the next Alpha. The world will open to me and I will be free from the constraints of childhood and be able to build my own future.

As I stand, stretching my sore muscles from crouching on the hard rock, I know that my life is already somewhat determined and freedom is not nearly as freeing as I think it will be. I am Liana Gailwind and I am to marry the Alphas son from Blacknight, the territory to our East. I am not to be an embarrassment to the family, as I have always been. I am to be a Luna, although I wish nothing more than to escape this fate. Philious, or Phil as I have always fondly called him, is a good man with a large pack with some power, though not much.

Three weeks from now, when the moon is full, I will become his Luna and we will both surrender our rights to the mates given to us by the moon goddess, vowing to treat each other as mates. We will live the rest of our lives pretending the friendly love we share for one another is enough to replace the love we would hold for our true mates, the other half of our souls. I know in my heart it will never be enough. But according to father, it is the only option I have to keep the family proud and strong.

I stand from the rock and run along the perimeter of our territory. The morning is still and quiet even with patrols making their rounds. They have never bothered me in all the nights that I have snuck out to the rock wall and they wouldn't dare to bother me today. It is my birthday and they are feeling extra generous.

I wave to Mathias, who is training a new patrol line and he grants me a small wave back. His shirtless chest reveals his toned abs and the dusting of dark hair from his belly button down to the waistband of his pants. His dark brown eyes track me to ensure that I am heading home before he turns back to his recruits. If I could have chosen a mate... I would have pick Mathias, if for no other reason than to see exactly what laid below that waistband. He had often watched me so intensely with so much sexual tension, I was sure he would proposition me. It hadn't happened yet, but I haven't lost hope. Tonight I will join the Fireball with all the other 18 year olds to celebrate our coming of age. Many people would find themselves with partners at the end of the night, not all of them mates.

'Mathias will be there tonight...' suggests the voice in my head. I shove it off with a smile and pick up the pace to reach the house before my father wakes.

The Alpha house is a large and stylish cabin. Inside there is a large entryway with several closets and a large spiraling staircase, the banisters are hand-carved with wolf heads at the ends. To the left is a large, lavishly furnished living room, filled with comfortable couches and deep recliners (a favorite for my father). To the right are the offices including one for my father, brother, guest meetings, and one for myself that has remained untouched, they lead down the hallway to the kitchen and dining room.

I manage to reach the house just on time as I slide my shoes off and turn on the coffee maker my father descends the stairs, already whispering on the phone to someone. It's barely 8AM but pack business waits for no man.

"Thank you," he says curtly and hangs up without a goodbye. Then he turns to look at me from down the hallway and I know I have been ratted out.

"Damn it Mathias," I whisper to myself. As my father quickly and angrily storms into the kitchen.

"You want to tell me why you were at the perimeter this morning Liana?" There is a long pause as I debate a lie or the truth, neither will spare me from the fit I can tell is burning inside my father. "Liana, I'm waiting."

Shit. "I couldn't sleep so I went out for a run," I shrug. "Sorry."

"You shouldn't be out unprotected; especially not before sunrise and especially not today," he huffed grabbing a coffee mug from the shelf to my left. I hold my breath waiting for it. "I mean you know it's dangerous with the rouges running around! And not to mention you are an unmated female wolf with a new and fresh scent! I demand to know why you were out there!" He slams his fist down on the counter rattling the mug right off and onto the floor with a smash.

Ah there is the anger I knew was bubbling up.

"I couldn't sleep and I wanted to run," I sigh and move to collect the pieces off the floor.

"I shouldn't let you go to the Fire ball," he sighs rubbing his temple.

I look up at him, ensuring my hazel eyes make full contact with his own, opening them and my mouth wide, followed by a small pout. I know he can't resist the sad face.

"You may go. No more foolishness Liana." I smile up at him as he softens a little.

I finish collecting the broken mug, toss it into the trash and turn back to him. He pulls me into a tight hug, "happy birthday my daughter," he presses a very sweet and fatherly kiss to my cheek.

"Happy birthday pup!!!!" My brother comes barreling around the corner and traps me in a headlock, rubbing his knuckles against my already knotted hair. I start to wrestle him back but my father grabs us both by the back of the neck.

"Alright that's enough. Let's all try to act like adults."

We all burst out laughing. Regardless of the harsh, cool presentation we give to the pack and our visitors, the three of us like to have fun in the privacy of our home.

My brother and father collect their coffees and head toward their offices with another round of 'happy birthdays'. I head upstairs to prep myself for tonight. I can barely contain my excitement at what is to come.