Chapter Thirty: Corpses

A/N: okay we're getting reeeeeally close to the last chapter this is so exiting

"So, are we all in agreement that Thomas needs to die?" I asked, from the backseat of the car, squeezed in between Alexis, Hayley, and Valerie.

"I'd say so," Valerie replied.

"It's the only way this can end," Pluto agreed from the driver's seat.

Hayley just nodded, clearly haunted by Sean's death, more then the rest of us. She leaned her head against the window, purple residue still on her face.

We all turned to look at Alexis. "Well," she said. "I can't condone murder. And this is my brother we're talking about. I don't exactly want him to die. But he's ruined so many lives, done so much irreversible damage, that if it comes down to that, I'll allow it. Sometimes the ends justify the means."

I couldn't help but think that Beatrix would agree with that. I hoped she was okay, wherever she was. And Marcus too, I supposed.

"How are we gonna do it, though?" Pluto asked. "I mean, you can hurt him with your your powers, but how are you gonna get close enough to him to do that? Do we even know where he is?"

"Well, he'll be underground, most likely," Olivia said. "Unless he went back to the orphanage, to wait this out?"

"I doubt it," I said. "He'd want to stay here and watch it all unfold."

"What if he has Beatrix?" Valerie suddenly asked. "And Marcus? I mean, they were out on the streets so he could have found them, brought them back underground?"

"So, does this mean we're going to go rescue them?" Alexis asked.

"We're going back underground?" Hayley asked.

I looked over at Olivia, and felt a wave of sympathy wash over me, as I saw the fear in her eyes. Then, it went away, being replaced by a look of determination. "We have to," she said. "They're our friends. We're not leaving them behind. They helped rescue me, so we owe it to them. And if Thomas is there, then we're going there anyway."

"So it's settled," I said. "We're going to Oakwood Drive."

As we drove through the night, my heart twisted as I thought of Beatrix, stuck in Thomas's clutches. Was she locked in a cell? Was she being drugged, tortured? Was she even still alive? I felt sick with worry for her.

And Marcus, of course.

"Alright, we're close now," Pluto said. "Are we sure we wanna do this?"

"We don't have a choice," I said quietly.

"I love you guys," Olivia said. "No matter what happens tonight."

"You are the best friends I've ever had," I told them. "Thank you for always being there for me, and I'm so sorry for dragging you into all of this."

"Don't even," Valerie said, leaning her head on my shoulder. "If it wasn't for you, I would have never understood my powers."

"Not to interrupt this touching moment, but we have a problem," Alexis said. "A big one."

We all turned to look at her, and she pointed out the window. We had pulled up to Oakwood Drive, and as I looked down the line of trees, I saw dark vans parked everywhere, and outside them, were people in vests, holding guns.

"Okay, so that's kinda bad," Pluto said. "It looks like it might be a bit hard to get into the underground facility without anyone noticing."

"Maybe we won't have to," I said, leaning over Alexis to look out the window. Beatrix was standing beside one of the armoured guards. My heart leapt in my throat when I saw her. Beside her stood Marcus. For a girl who usually stood tall and confident, she withered beside him, her arms crossed over her chest defensively.