Chapter Fifteen: The Lab

A/N: this is gonna be a really exiting chapter! And there's gonna be a HUGE cliffhanger

"Okay, remember the plan," Beatrix whispered to us, as we huddled by a tree, watching the small house across the street. "Pluto's waiting in the car, and me and Marcus are gonna go over to the trees, and he's gonna light the trees on fire to create a distraction."

We all nodded. "And then we go over to the guards?" Sean asked nervously.

"Yeah, we'll just tell them there's a fire," Hayley said. "That should be easy."

"And then the rest of us go in," I finished.

I was feeling a bit anxious about going back there. After all, last time I was in there I had gotten shot at, chased, and watched Cashlin die. But this wasn't about me, I told myself. We needed to rescue Olivia.

"Let's not stress about this. The hard part is once we're inside," Beatrix reminded us, before hurrying off with Marcus. For some reason, it irritated me, watching them walk off together, which I didn't understand.

I turned back to the others, and we watched through the branches, as two men walked around the house. They were wearing plain clothes, and didn't look like they were armed, but that was to be expected, as there were civilians living on that street who might be confused as to why there were armed guards standing outside one of the houses.

The last time we had been there, there hadn't been anyone outside, but I guessed they had upped security since we escaped.

Suddenly, I heard the crackling of flames, and we turned, to see that a few of the trees behind us were on fire. I watched the flames travel up the trunk, as Sean and Hayley hurried towards the house.

"Fire!" they yelled. "There's a fire!"

As they pointed towards the wooded area. As we had expected, the men hurried towards it, leaving the house unguarded. Taking our chance, me, Valerie, and Evianna hurried towards the house, as we were joined by Hayley, who snuck back through the trees. The door was locked, of course, but the wood was flimsy and we kicked it down easily.

"Where do we go now?" Valerie asked.

"To the basement," I said, as we hurried through the empty house. "The elevator is down there."

"Do you need the keycard to go down the elevator?" Hayley asked.

"Surprisingly, no," I responded. "Only to go up, which doesn't really make any sense, but it works for us."

As we got to the elevator, I realized that not needing a keycard to get underground could potentially mean that Thomas wanted us to come. That it was a trap. Or, something that Beatrix had theorized, it made it easy for them to trap people inside.

But it was too late to turn back now. We stepped inside the elevator, and I saw that there was dried blood on the floor from when Beatrix had broken her nose in there.

"Ew, is that blood?" Valerie asked, noticing.

"I guess they haven't cleaned the elevator since last time," I said.

We went down in silence, the four of us mentally prepared for what was ahead. The elevator touched the ground, and we all looked at each other nervously. "I guess this is it," Evianna said.

We stepped out as the doors opened, and looked around, relieved to see that we weren't met with guards. "Alright, let's go," I said. As we prepared to split up, Valerie pulled me into a hug. "I'll see you soon," I promised her.

She nodded. "We're gonna get your girl back."

"I know," I responded, trying to convince myself that this was gonna be successful. I paused. "She's not my girl."