Chapter Thirteen: Trust

A/N: so Beatrix is unraveling. But I'm sure she'll be fine

"So, wait, you're telling me that they kidnapped your friend?" Sean asked with wide eyes. I nodded. "And that's why you're tracking all of us down? So we can help get her back?"

"Pretty much," Pluto said from behind me. "I mean, also because we want to meet the others. And help them not die."

"Wow. That's a lot," Sean said. "That sounds kinda... dangerous?"

We were losing him, I could tell. Someone needed to say something, now. Luckily, Beatrix stepped up. "Of course it's dangerous. But you know what else is even more dangerous? Ignoring these powers. Pretending they aren't there. Hiding them. Because it will kill you slowly. At least here, you have a chance to fight, to do something with them, to help. But it's your choice. You can leave right now, walk away from all of this. No one will judge you for it."

He blinked. "Right. Okay. I'm gonna stay."

Beatrix smiled. "Great. Glad to have you."

"That was one hell of a speech," Pluto said, sounding impressed.

She shrugged. "I have my moments."

"Uhh, not to interrupt, but I was able to do something last night," Sean said. We all turned to look at him. "I can do this now."

He narrowed his eyes, concentrating hard, and after a few moments, watery mist started falling from the ceiling. Or technically, floating in the air, as it seemed to be too light to fall. I looked up, and saw that a thin coat of clouds was latched to the ceiling. Valerie took a picture on her phone.

"Oh wow," I said, reaching up to touch it. "You can make rain on purpose now?"

"Kind of," he said. "I can't really make rain. It's more like wet mist."

"That's still awesome," I told him. "I can't do weather stuff with intention, so you're ahead of me."

"What kind of weather stuff have you done?" Sean asked. I thought for a moment.

"Um, well, this one time, I made a storm freeze. Like the water droplets just stopped in midair. And I also made a rainbow."

"That's gay," Pluto said in a serious voice.

I nodded gravely. "It was."

"I haven't really done any since," I continued. "It seems to only really happen when I feel super strong emotions. But not all the time. I mean, I've felt strong emotions on other times and nothing has happened."

Beatrix wrote something down in the notebook she was always carrying.

"Maybe it only happens on special occasions?" Sean suggested.

"Or maybe the powers just like fucking with us," Beatrix said from behind me. I ignored her.

"How many do you guys have now?" he asked. "I mean, of people with powers?"

I paused. "Um, we have me and Beatrix. We have you, now. We have Valerie," I continued, gesturing towards her. She waved at Sean. "She's basically Elsa. We also just got another girl, Hayley. She can basically control colours? I don't really know how to explain it, but she can camouflage stuff. She made a pan blend in with the wall. And we have another guy too, now." I turned back to Beatrix. "The fire guy? What's his name?"

"Marcus Coleman," she said. "I think I've mentioned him." I vaguely remembered hearing his name before.

"That's so cool," Sean said with a grin. "How many are there in all, do you think?"